Monday, February 16, 2015

4 keys to Finding and Clearing our Own Obstacles to Happiness!



Happy Nichiren Daishonin's Birthday! 

It is another beautiful day to renew our powerful vow for kosen-rufu and for our own happiness. 

In For Today and Tomorrow, on February 16th, 
Daisaku Ikeda states:

"I hope you will always live in unity 
with Nichiren Daishonin, 
pursuing faith as disciples who are 
"of the same mind as Nichiren."
Unfazed by the petty jealousies of others, 
please move forward boldly with joy and laughter." 

Well, I like that idea...of the same mind as Nichiren (determined, resolute, certain!) moving forward boldly with joy and laughter. I know I strive to do that every day. 

As I chant this morning I continue to focus on mastering my mind...and on changing the things in myself that I don't like in others. 

Have you ever had a friend or a family member that you just want to say "why can't you SEE this about yourself? It is so clear to others!" 

We all have blind spots don't we? I've been chanting to see my blind spots...the tendencies I have that hold me back...the patterns I live out that no longer serve me or make me happy. What are three keys to dong this? 

Three Keys to Finding and 
Clearing our own Obstacles to Happiness 

1. Identify character traits you dislike in others. (Such as, quick to anger and yell, continual martyrdom, etc)

2. Even if you don't believe you share those traits chant with an open mind to change them in yourself. 

3. Notice what happens. Notice your own reactions. See if suddenly you can SEE yourself with those traits. 

4. Chant to change these traits in yourself and replace them with traits you would rather have. 


Ever since the guidance I got last week, I am chanting to change the things in myself that I see and dislike in others. (Even if I don't believe I share those traits) And I'll tell you, I have revealed some personal tendencies that I'm not happy about! That's why the Gohonzon is a mirror for our inner life, and why we have to be so courageous. 

I may not LIKE what I'm seeing, but if I never saw it, I could never change it. AND the obstacles to chanting about this are so strong! I just have to laugh. But this is what Human Revolution IS, isn't it? The willingness to SEE what we need to change and the courage to change it. What if I changed these tendencies? I can't say for sure, but I am willing to try...willing to chant...willing to look in that mirror.  

Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo takes courage, and the results are worth it. As I dig deep into challenging my life, and doing tons of shakubuku, I wish you all the best. 

Be courageous! 

As Louise Hay says: "How can you clean house if you don't see the dirt!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment