Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What to do when you are in despair

This post is in answer to a question I got from a reader yesterday. 


She asked if I ever feel despair, and what do I do when I sink into that feeling? And the truth is I have come so far and received sooooo many benefits, and yes, every once in a while I do feel the pull of that old sadness I used to feel most of the time. 


The timing of the question was, of course, perfect, because just that day I had formed a new resolve in this area. 


And yes, even Buddhas who have been chanting for many years still get occasional moments of despair!  Every time I feel a moment of sadness I think of all of you, and my district members, and I make a new VOW to my life to overcome my karma (and propensity toward depression) once and for all by ripping it out at the roots. This is Human Revolution. I must pave the way for others, just as YOU are paving the way for others through every one of YOUR FRESH DETERMINATIONS!!


MAY is the perfect time to determine to change the karma that is bringing you down forever! (More about that in tomorrow's blog for May 3rd)


There are several steps I recommend for when you are battling to WIN over your own despair!
1. Chant
2. Call someone who encourages you
3. Make a fresh determination and a new vow
4. Chant again and win! 


Here is my response to the question:


Thank you for asking! 


First of all I woke up Monday feeling sadness and anxiety and chanted for two hours as sincerely as I could. Then I called Kate, my mentor in faith, and she explained to me (again!) that I was going through this pain because I am making so many positive causes, (with the writing of this blog and chanting for you and my members) that my karma has shown itself to me anew so that I can once again determine to root it out forever. 


More than 4000 people read this blog last month! That is 1000 more than the month before...and I want to increase and increase and increase. Please send the link chantforhappiness.com to everyone you can think of!!! If you can think of ways to increase readership and to fulfill my mission (our shared mission) send me an email! If you know of a publisher or agent searching for a bold new voice send them a link to this blog! I am almost ready to send out my book proposal but when I sit down to write I always write this blog first! I appreciate the tips I've received from you so far. My email is silversunsinger@gmail.com.


She also pointed out that at the core of my suffering is that fact that many aspects of my environment reflect my own deep seated feelings of self doubt and not being good enough. She said my environment does not yet truly reflect the amazing and wonderfully shining, worthy person I am. And she attributed that to my deep seated doubts somewhere in my life. (karma, of course). And I have been suffering over some of the same things for my entire life.  She said Human Revolution is HARD because you have to break the ties to your own unhappiness. Those grooves are familiar, and hard to break. Hmmm. That really gave me something to think about! 


I sat down and chanted another hour with FIERCE DETERMINATION to change this karma forever, and to break the ties to my own unhappiness.


As many of you know, my goal is to be a published author with many fine books, audios and videos that help people everyday, to reach everyone who is suffering and looking for a solution to their problems, and to connect them with the Soka Gakkai and President Ikeda!  My goal is to reach out to everyone who is suffering....EVERYONE! And help them learn to chant to be happy! In order to accomplish this goal my life has to be a vibrant, living example that this practice works! I HAVE to achieve happiness in all areas of my life!

I woke up the next morning with a battle going on in my head. Okay!

I chanted: I DEMAND that all my circumstances in life appreciate me!  I DEMAND that my environment reflect who I really am, not my fears or doubts of who I am. I DEMAND that I have the courage to do Human Revolution and to FOREVER break those ties to my own unhappiness. I determined to stop making causes that bring me pain! I determined to make causes that bring me happiness! Not just for me, but for YOU, and for every person who reads this blog and comes to my house for meetings! And for every person I want to encourage. I MUST succeed I told the Gohonzon! (My LIFE) No matter what! 


Later that day as I was driving home I felt those same familiar feelings of sadness, anger and longing. I chose to claim victory at that moment...not wait until I got home in front of the Gohonzon!  I yelled out "I choose to be happy!!! I choose to be happy!" Over and over again. And I chanted. And the feeling lifted! Immediately. 


I will master my mind through my determination and practice. I will master my emotions too! I use the power of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, and you can too!

Today I am calm, and I am writing and I am happy. 


If I can raise my precious life out of familiar suffering YOU CAN TOO! If I can change this nagging and familiar karma and suffering, YOU CAN TOO! 


We are all Buddhas and we are all equal. Everyone can summon the faith to change...especially during the month of May! 
May is the month all Soka Gakkai members make new determinations for victory. Please think of what you want and take this wonderful opportunity to change. 
Tomorrow is master and disciple day, May Third! What a great time to redetermine to win!!!!

3 comments:

  1. can you please write something about chanting and disease??? it seems like when i started chanting a certain condition has come back and now I am dealing with it again. it is scaring me from chanting. but is this the chanting working? i want nothing more for my body to heal itself and be rid of this condition. I had been free from it for a year and a half until i started chanting. Now it is back in full force. Not quietly! please help me make sense of this. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also would like to know your thoughts on another thing that maybe you want to add with the disease and chanting ques? i remember when things about a week ago when i did long 2 hour chant with group i was so happy but then i got sick right after, and one thing i noticed strange was that my menstruation was heavier than usual on that time i chanted. it was like a flow i never seen for a few hours. i was okay with that, but i started to feel depressed again when i got sick, its like a whole waves of feeling after that chanting. by the way the condition i have is not menstrual related. any info you can provide if the chanting did that? i dont have anyone to ask these questions because i am a bit embarrassed. any info is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you are chanting and you are encountering sickness... you should be grateful to the gohonzon...because your disease is getting reflected fast...this is the chance to change your situation..chant hard for your fast recovery..donot stop chanting...its the devil inside you which is bringing this feeling...so chant hard..this is the time of your victory!!! rejoice!!!! sickness cannot be an obstacle!!!

    ReplyDelete