Sunday, October 9, 2016

Life is Like a Sea Voyage - By Daisaku Ikeda


"Life is like a sea voyage. 
We each need to open up our own course in life 
with the strengths of our convictions, 
unperturbed by the crashing breakers 
of life's stormy seas. 
The fiercer the tempest rages, 
the more we need to rouse our own fighting spirit 
and man the tiller 
with all our strength and skill crying 
"Bring it on!"
Through this type of arduous struggle 
we can forge the practical wisdom 
to triumph consistently 
and as victorious champions, 
to create history." 

Daisaku Ikeda, Buddhism Day by Day, page 318


What a great quote! BRING IT ON! 
How often do we have that feeling, for real, in life? 

When we are chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo every day, twice a day we build up resilience, wisdom and strength. When life hits us we bounce back stronger, not weaker. 

I've been laying low for awhile because I've fallen twice over the last month. Boy, is that my family karma, I tell you! My Mom and my Aunt were both plagued with falling. I have more compassion than ever for them. Anyone can fall. The first time I fell on some watery steps during hurricane Hermine, and last week I twisted my foot walking on the sand. It's giving me lots of time to swim, write and read!

I'm chanting for my Mom and her sister, my Aunt. I'm reflecting on how frustrated I got with them sometimes, and apologizing in my heart. I'm chanting to change this karma of falling forever, and be healthier than ever. 

I'm living in my personal paradise in Florida, learning about it, making friends, chanting abundant daimoku. As I'm writing this I hear the waves coming in...such a beautiful sound! 

In a few moments the presidential debate will be on. 
I'm chanting for this country...for the world...for wisdom to prevail. WISDOM. JUSTICE. WISDOM! 


1 comment: