Friday, August 15, 2014

What a Week - 7 Tips to Rising Above Trying Times in the World



Sometimes the world just has a really rough week...I feel like collectively we have all been through the mill this week from the incredible Robins Williams taking his own life to the Furguson Mo nightmare and all the challenges and wars all over the world. 
I don't know about you, but sometimes it is hard not to let some of that sink in through my pores. 

Having Robin Williams die of depression was so sad and jarring to all of us, and I think may have also hit me, and others who have loved ones who suffer from depression and various other mental challenges particularly hard. I was just on edge all week...struggling to catch my breath. 

What can we, as Buddhists do when we get agitated, and when everything in the world seems to day "cower in fear"? 

I started a survival plan of my own. Here are some of the things I've done.

1. I moved myself even closer to my Butsudan and sat up as straight as I possibly could. I shined a brighter light on the Gohonzon. And I had my phone in the other room for each hour as I chanted. I am sticking with my determination from earlier this year to not let anything interrupt my Gongyo from start to finish. And if I do get interrupted I begin again and do another complete Gongyo. I can see how this is having an effect on my life every day. 

2. I spent time with my family. 

3. I read the Gosho every day, even the confusing parts. I chanted to understand with my life - and to feel Nichiren's spirit with every word I read. 

4. I turned my focus on taking care of my physical body. 
I drank more water...at least 4  24 oz bottles a day. 
I walked vigorously as often as I could. 
I ate more fruits and vegetables and drank less caffeine. 

5. I did some mirror work. You know, Louise Hay, one of my favorite mentors, talks about looking yourself in the eye in the mirror and giving yourself the words that you would give to your best friend. So this week I was my own cheerleader and biggest supporter. It feels really good to look myself in the eye and tell myself that I can achieve anything, look what I've done so far. 

6. I chanted specifically for strength and to realize I am the Buddha at every moment. I am determined to live a life without fear. I chanted to raise my life condition and once again embrace my mission and my choice to be born at this time, in this country with this faith. 

7. I talked to my friends all over the country - reconnected with some people I haven't talked to in awhile. 

And tonight I am going out with a new group of people to see a Philharmonic concert...
This week I also worked hard at work and on my book. I will have some questions to ask you soon about the title. 

All my best to you! 


1 comment:

  1. hi Jamie i am an ardent follower of your blog. I look forward each day for your encouraging words. Today's write up is very motivating. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete