Saturday, September 13, 2014

Some Interesting Guidance on Finding Love....



I am just like many of you...chanting for my partner for kosen rufu. Yesterday I got guidance I want to share with you. As always, I share from my heart, as an earnest practitioner, not in any official SGI capacity.  

In guidance our leaders in the SGI do not tell us what to do, but they do help us to steer our daimoku and practice in the direction we want to go. This senior has been happily married for almost 40 years. 

After we talked a while she proposed I "date the Gohonzon." And this really intrigued me. I thought: 

"Oh, that makes so much sense! 
The Gohonzon is, after all, my life itself." 

She proposed I fall in love with the Gohonzon (myself). 
That I greet my life in chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as I would someone I love and cherish...that I speak to it (have in my mind while chanting) loving words and filled with appreciation.  I get it. 

This morning I followed this guidance. 

As I chanted I poured love from my heart into the Gohonzon...and I felt deep feelings of appreciation. 

As I was doing this I felt love for my own self welling forth. As Buddhists we all know that our lives are a reflection of our own inner lives. It only makes sense to develop deeper feelings for our own lives...so this strikes a real chord with me. 

She proposed I apologize for any past slander of my own life (comparing myself to others, and/or not feeling equal or good enough). Okay, I can do that too!

And she proposed I make a list of all I am looking for in a life mate...a new list. And then she asked me to take a look at it and ask myself I have those same qualities in myself. And, if I feel I fall short in any area, to chant to develop those qualities in myself. 

I think this is a really wise idea. I am going to do it today. And I'm going to continue to "date" the Gohonzon (scroll that represents my own life) and refocus on what I am looking for for a life mate...someone who can embrace the Gohonzon as I do, someone honest and kind with a twinkle in his eyes, a light heart and a commitment to ongoing personal awakening and expansion. 

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

6 comments:

  1. I'm a fellow SGI member, I have been chanting for a couple of weeks for a answer to this an I just happened to find your blog.. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our relationship with ourselves is the most important relationship we need to maintain. The quality of that relationship will determine the quality of our other relationships.
    When we can tell ourselves how we feel, and accept our feelings, we can tell others.
    When we can accept what we want and need, we will be ready to have our wants and needs met.
    When we can accept what we think and believe, and accept what’s important to us, we can relay this to others.
    When we learn to take ourselves seriously, others will too.
    When we learn to chuckle at ourselves, we will be ready to laugh with others.
    When we have learned to trust ourselves, we will be trustworthy and ready to trust.
    When we can be grateful for who we are, we will have achieved self-love.
    When we have achieved self-love and accepted our wants and needs, we will be ready to give and receive love.
    When we’ve learned to stand on our own two feet, we’re ready to stand next to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, I will follow this guidance and your entire posting to the letter. As always it came to me life in the right time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been struggling with this issue for a very long time. The guidance is so practical! Going to try it right away! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness! This makes so much sense. Thank you

    ReplyDelete