Thursday, July 2, 2015

A Great Question for Today~

Meg, Aaron and Me right after my speech on Tuesday

The speech on Tuesday (Called Goddesses are Ageless) 
was absolutely a blast! There is almost nothing I like better in the world than standing in front of a group of people, connecting with them heart-to-heart while telling them new research and ideas that can help them change their lives. I paved the way for this by chanting for every single person to leave this speech permanently inspired and uplifted.

And it was extra special because my son Aaron and his wonderful girlfriend Meg came. They just finished their third year of medical school (Loyola, Stritch School of Medicine) Meg's family owns the Groom Wineries. At the end of every speech, I give away a bottle of Colby Red wine. Colby Red is named after Meg's brother Colby who had several heart surgeries at a young age. Every penny from the sale of this great red wine goes to heart research. They've raised almost a million dollars through the sales of Colby Red ($9.99-12.99) at every Walgreens in the states. Isn't that cool? 

Here's more great information from my speech: 

Did you know "aging" is greatly related to non-movement? The latest research says we should move for 10 minutes for every hour we sit. Can you imagine if we actually did that? I'm so fortunate that I spend a lot of my day moving from place to place and meeting new people. And now, whenever I do sit for a task I move my body every hour for ten minutes. Christiane Northrup M.D also introduced me to HIT, High Intensity Training - it's so cool. For 20 seconds, you dance all out and move with joy. Rest for ten seconds, dance for 20...I do this as long as I want. Some people set goals of multiple repetition, but I just stop when I am done. It's fun! I feel better! Give it a shot. 

You know, I used to hear the phrase all the time "Everything is Buddhism," ~ meaining life at every moment is an expression of our Buddha nature. How can we love ourselves more each day? How can we be better to ourselves? How can we advance in energy, vitality, and happiness each day?

There's a new term I also learned and introduced called "Functional Fitness." It's defined as "Being able to do anything you want each day - plus one emergency." And I experienced this the other day when we went to the Ravinia concert. We had to walk up-hill carrying tons of things (chairs, cooler, tables, blankets) for several blocks each way - unexpectedly. The main parking lot was closed. I was so appreciative to my body for being able to do this without injury or complaint! I know I chant better when my body is hydrated and healthy!

How can we just become happier and healthier every day? Little changes! Moving along! 

Question for today:

How can you be kinder to yourself today than you were yesterday? 

Let's watch our own thoughts and be nicer to ourselves every single day!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!


3 comments: