Sunday, March 27, 2016

What if you get Bored Chanting?



Yesterday - Aaron and Meg's going away party. 
Today they left for Australia for 6 weeks
My sister Alison is in pink, and her husband Frank is to the right. Paul is behind me.

This morning, believe it or not, I got bored while chanting. I had the thought: "I have been chanting for this goal for SO LONG - what's the use?" Such a clear attack of fundamental darkness, right? And instead of stopping chanting, I reached for one of my favorite books, "The Heart of the Lotus Sutra." I read:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The true aspect of the Buddha is found in the ability to lead a pure and noble existence, to emit the fragrance of compassion and to shine with wisdom, even amid painful circumstances. It is this function of the Mystic Law that is eternal."
From "The Heart if the Lotus Sutra" by Daisaku Ikeda, page 130
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the power within us all, even amidst our pain...

And I picked up where I had left off and chanted for another hour. I'm in painful circumstances, but I am determined to shine. I'm battling every day, just like you are. Let's win together! You are inspiring me with your emails. Thank you so much!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your posts ! Keeps me going as I
    Continue to face most challenging situations ! Chanting for you always and for dear Ben ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is what I sometimes think and start feeling bored , which leads me to feel guilty of how I can think like this. But I feel so much better after reading your post Jamie . Thanks for sharing your innermost feelings always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou Jamie inspiration to continue. I often say what is this for or rather....what is my life? Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog almost every day.Thank you so much for sharing with us your precious life.Every time I feel down at work,I read your article and always end up happy and hopefull

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love u Jamie..!! Your blogs are inspiration for us. Thanks for being der.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi jaimie!thats true i get also this feeling when i chanted today but as im reading your encouragement i feel good!and i everytime i get bored i always read tje guidance of sensei ikeda!reading the the writings of nichiren daishonin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an inspiration-
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloha Jamie,
    As always your words, experiences etc are so very inspiring to me. So sorry for the pain that your in. Lets chant even more to with fierce daimoku to overcome all our difficulties, pain, tears, hurt etc in our lives. Just you & Gohonzon :) hugz

    ReplyDelete