Wednesday, October 23, 2013

11 Powerful Tips for Chanting Joy-full Tozos!


When I first began chanting a leader told me our lives and our karma can be compared to a glass with dirt at the bottom. The dirt represents the karma that exists inside our lives. She said when you start to chant you stir up that dirt and see it swirling around...and if you want to really dig deep and clear it out, you might want to chant a Daimoku Tozo (chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo for an hour or longer) and to set a goal with specific time targets to chant per day...to do a Million Daimoku Campaign we call it. 

Recently we started a Million Daimoku Campaign to chant a million Daimoku to realize VICTORY in our lives by setting Daimoku goals and keeping track of 300 hours of Daimoku to reach one million. Send me an email at chantforhappiness if you want to join us!

A reader requested I share some ideas about chanting joyfully, and with concentration - especially since so many of you are challenging yourselves to chant for longer periods of time. Thank you for asking.

Please do not copy and paste the 11 Powerful Tips. Please share by sending the chantforhappiness.com url or using the share buttons at the bottom of the post. Thank you! Jamie

11 Powerful tips:
How to Joyfully Chant for Longer Times.
Tozo Power! 

1. Realize that what you are about to do...chanting longer than usual ~ doing a Daimoku Tozo ("Tozo" is usually used for chanting perionds of one hour or longer)  - and accomplishing a million Daimoku...has profound significance for your life. Give yourself credit for this worthy goal, and set a chanting time goal for yourself for each day. 

2. Write your goal or goals. (Some of these goals may occur to you naturally as you're chanting) Write yourself a Power Prayer connected to the greater good...to the real difference you want to make in the world. 

Remember that you are a precious votary of the Lotus Sutra and when you break through, the energy is forever changed. You are paving the way for others to break through ~ Your Happiness is IMPORTANT! 

So address that in your goals and in your chanting For example: 

"I am determined to have the most beautiful, loving relationship so that I can totally inspire other people that great relationships are possible ...I can show actual proof with my life, and be able to introduce others to this practice!

President Ikeda's guidance says you can chant to have 10,000 times more power in your prayer. So I usually dedicate some time to chanting to increase the power of my daimoku by 10,000 times! 

3. Have your favorite drinks close by...tea...water...soft drinks...whatever you like. 

4. DEMAND your results! YOU are the Buddha! Do not beg favors from a 'higher power." Remember the Gohonzon cannot get down off the scroll and do the Buddha's work in the world. YOU actually are the Gohonzon; it is inside your life. The scroll is a reflection of the highest life condition that exists within your own life. So when you are chanting CLAIM what is yours! Yes, the Gohonzon consists of the functions in the universe that are in our lives. Tell your life what you want. And know that all real change comes from within.

5. All change comes from within. Take responsibility for your life...not blame. Realize whatever you are going through, whatever is causing you to chant...it's your karma..not your FAULT. Chant to reach the very core of that karma and change it forever. THEN your life circumstances and environment will change to reflect it. You don't have to figure out the deeper cause, don't worry about getting it right. Chanting is experiential, not an intellectual exercise.  

6. Keep your favorite study material close by...whatever touches your heart when you read it. And if you find yourself losing focus open it up to any page you want. I have "For Today and Tomorrow" next to me right now. I just opened it for you right now...I read "When we chant sonorous daimoku, the sun rises in our hearts. We are filled with power. Compassion wells forth. Our lives are lit with joy. Our wisdom shines. All Buddhas and Buddhist deities throughout the universe go to work on our behalf. Life becomes exhilarating." Read your passage and get right back to chanting!!!

7. Invite others to chant with you!

8. Have pen and paper handy. You'll want to write down those brilliant ideas that come into your mind while you're chanting. You'll also want to write down some of those pesky thoughts and reminders that keep coming back...things like "remember to buy dog food." Just write it down and eject it from your brain so you can focus on what really matters.

9. Put your telephone away. Tell people you are busy. 

10. After you chant write in your journal. Write to me too. I love to hear your successes and your challenges. I will only share your victories with your permission! Write me at Chantforhappiness.@gmail.com. 

11. Expect some obstacles to arise after your tozo. And just say "Hello obstacles! I was expecting you!" When you take on the mission to chnge your karma for yourself and others you can compare it to turning your speedboat to HIGH. The faster you go, the more resistance you feel. 

Above all - Don't give up! You CAN change your problems into benefits. You ARE the Buddha! 

Thank you SOOOO much for spreading the words about this campaign.  Thank you for sending the link chantforhappiness to everyone! 

I am chanting for you to accomplish your goals and shine with happiness. 

If you are using the PowerPrayers please let me know how they are working for you! Email me at chantforhappiness@gmail.com

I'd love to hear from those of you who have connected to the SGI through my blog!
I am sharing your stories with Daisaku Ikeda, Sensei. 

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, so refreshing!
    I did share with my friends here in Sint Maarten and the world.
    Thanks again well keep you posted as to the results , I has started the million campaign when I came back from FNCC but didn't know it's 1 hour minimum tozo thingy, so I will do from now on as said, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a jazz musician from Maryland and am chanting 3 hrs a day and at the moment facing facing my demons, almost staggered by their potency, if you'd like to talk 301-407-3260

      Delete
  2. It's me Daniela again, forgot to say you might want to add to your list, I find it very helpful , I put the Utube version Daimoku even faster or whichever one you want and surround sound connected to my TV and it's like there are so many people chanting with me and it helps a LOT!
    DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for this. Not sure what a power prayer is, can you explain please. Why is there an ad for a bank on the ipage? Hope you don't mind me asking. Debbie (I practice in London, UK).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi....its me Anushree..... You are so inspirational..... I will try for one million daimoku..... Thank you so much for encouragement..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I m trying to maximise my chanting everyday want to go from 1 hr to more n more

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will this help me apply the law of attraction better and help me with my anxiety?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,I am Shrinka.
    I hardly get time to chant diamoku for long, so can I chant while doing my house hold work or official work.
    Would that b worth and part on a million diamoku?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I am Radhikaa and I practise in India from the past 2 yes. I completed 1 million daimoku chart for my son and 2nd million almost going to finish for my daughter. .
    I chant everyday for 1 or 2 hrs.
    Today I chanted for 5 hours. I am enjoying.

    ReplyDelete