Monday, September 7, 2009

The Three Proofs in Buddhism

Sunday's two hour tozo (chanting two hours) at the center was really challenging! I lead the chanting (the microphone was given to me, so I set the pace and the rhythm) from 8:30 until 9:00 am and it seemed like a very long time! Time is so funny, isn't it...sometimes I can chant a whole two hours or more and barely look at the clock, other times a half hour feels like forever!
When I first started chanting I was determined to chant 5 minutes every morning and evening. Sometimes that 5 minutes seemed like an eternity. I'm sure I stopped at 4 and 1/2 minutes sometimes! But the effort was worth it...I started to see results so soon. I started to feel lighter, I got a job, I met John Denver for the first time...so many things began to happen when I started chanting.

Now, I am digging so deep in my prayer. I am determined to rid my life of the underlying suffering that has always been in my life. I am determined to be aware of my own Buddha nature, to feel it, see it, appreciate it all the time...or as much as possible! I want to feel the love that is all around me all the time. I want to access an even deeper love for my own self...I know this transformation is possible.

And as I mentioned a few blogs ago, I am also chanting to get these thoughts of regret and sadness OUT of my brain!

I am chanting for so many people. I keep pictures of everyone up on my wall by my altar, and chant for them!

I am also chanting to know which foods are best for my body, to actually want to eat healthy foods and to be more beautiful, more radiant, more healthy than ever before! I am chanting to be an example, and to show actual proof of the power of chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. I am chanting to inspire people...many people to try chanting to see for themselves!

There are three proofs in Buddhism:

1) Is the practice rooted in original Buddhist doctrine?
The answer is YES, this practice goes back to the Lotus Sutra, expounded by Shakyamuni Buddha.

2) Does it accord with common sense?
The answer is YES, and that's one of the best things about this practice. It all just makes sense. OF COURSE you are the universe! OF COURSE you don't need a priest or interpreter to access that power. What you need is a tool. That tool is chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

3) Is there actual proof of this practice? ~ Does it work? Does it get results? This is the most important of the three proofs.
The answer is YES, but please don't take my word for it!
I hope you'll prove to yourself that the answer is YES. It is purely experiential. I dare you to have the courage it takes to chant and see for yourself! Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

4 comments:

  1. I have a query.I want something for myself and my mom prays something else that I dont want and both are practicing.So whose prayer will works.Can uyou help me in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are both praying and practicing, and helping others learn to chant...the perfect solution will be found. I know it sounds hard to believe...but if both of you keep chanting for what you want...even if they are two different things, you will both be very happy in the end. Don't forget to practice every morning and evening, stay connected to other Buddhists who inspire you, and teach others how to chant to the best of your ability! Your benefits will flow! Write again, I am happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...am sure the results at the end will be positive as you both are chanting n practising it...so don't worry happiness will be at your door..take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi.this practice is all about many in body one in mind...so as both are chanting for each others happiness the prayers will be answered for both of yours happiness and in the end both will recognize the real aspect of happiness for each other....As satisfaction and contentment is the prime goal of each one of us chanting.
      NAM..MYOHO..Renge kyo.

      Delete