Saturday, February 2, 2013

Keys to introducing others - It's easy!


Hi, I posted this picture because I think it is the essence of doing shakubuku. (Shakubuku is sharing Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with others - shakubuku is COMPASSION) 

Here are some keys to telling people about the practice:

First of all, I know it's obvious to some, but chant to meet the people who are ready to hear about this practice. And chant to have the kind of life that inspires others. Chant to show actual proof and BE an inspiration every day. Happiness will flow from you. 

This absolutely works. 

I have proven it time and time again, and so have many others. 
I think shakubuku has two categories....people we know and people we don't know. 

I have introduced both. Some of the people I know well who have started chanting were in my life many years before they began. Mary knew me for over 20 years, Julia and Danielle for at least 12 years, but the beautiful thing is, I kept chanting for their happiness, I kept planting seeds and sooner or later the depth of my happiness and great fortune in life touched THEIR lives and they decided to practice. It took a while, but they are strong members! The key is to continue to chant to show actual proof through your life. My Mom started chanting a year after I joined saying "Jamie, I want what you have." 

Here are some tips to shakubuku people you don't know. This is a great joy for me. 

1. Carry Nam-myoho-renge-kyo cards everywhere. I never leave the house without them. 
Who do I talk to? Everyone. I'm a naturally friendly person and I believe there are no strangers, there are just people I haven't met. So the person at the grocery - I give them a card. I say "Thank you so much!" and smile. Then I get the card out and say "Here, I have something for you. Have you ever heard of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo?" then I give them the card. I say "these are words that, when you say them over and over and think about what you want, you get it. I've been practicing for 28 years." I say, "And I have the most incredible and happy life!" And they can already see that from my life condition and how cheerful I am. The card has the SGI website and the address sof my blog and my name and telephone number on it. 

People usually look me straight in the eye and say "Thanks! I really needed to see this today." and if there's time and no one behind me waiting they will usually start talking about a challenge they are facing and telling me that our encounter was meant to be. I live in the midwest, and people are really friendly here, but I've done this all over the world. If people want to keep talking I stay and answer their questions. If they don't I move on. 

I used to work for the San Francisco Bay guardian newspaper and my name was listed in many places. People would call me at work all the time and say "Is this the Jamie Silver who gave me that Nam-myoho-renge-kyo card on the corner of...2 years ago" (This was before cell phones) and I'd say yes. Then they would tell me all about how they found a local SGI meeting, got their Gohonzon and solved the biggest problem in their lives. They tracked me down to tell me. 

The thing is you just never know what another person is going through. They might have prayed just that morning "Oh please, I need a solution to my problems right now!" and you show up and give them a card. How wonderful is that? They may be contemplating suicide, or have someone in their life that really needs to hear about this practice. A simple few words from you can change the course of their lives and the lives of those around them. 

We are all so important. We are Soka Gakkai Buddhists. We live in a world of suffering. We can easily overcome our social fears and hand out Nam-myoho-renge-kyo cards and invite people to meetings. My meetings are filled with people I met in this casual sort of way, who are now practicing! I am a Buddha. you are a Buddha. So many people are searching for Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. We can help them find it. 

Please feel free to send in your thoughts and experiences. I am so grateful for you! 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sunshine,
    What a grea experiencet. Like you, I have also share cards with anyone and it's an amazing feeling to see people smile back at you. It's really worth giving people a chance to meet and hear the Law. Sometimes you don't get such nice reactions, but as you said, you overcome social fear and any other kind of fears and when that happens the universe is ready to bring you more fortune because you are ready to receive it. President Toda would always encourage people to introduce others to the best of their ability and that whether that person would practice or not, or even if that person had already been introduced by others, the cause and our fortune coming from that cause is the same. Some people do shakabuku only focused on a person who they feel will receive gohonzon some time and waist every single day of their lives not introducing anyone else. Big mistake.
    Thank you, and I hope I didn't sound patronizing at the end.
    Roberto

    ReplyDelete