Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Friends are Life's Treasures

Pooh and Piglet are such great examples of life-long companions and friends. They are so dear to each other and so kind. Friends really are life's treasures. 

But not everyone has friends. I didn't always have friends. For many years I struggled with having no friends or very few. I could barely watch shows like Sex and the City, they just made me sad. 

It was so painful for me to even chant about this subject. I'd start to chant and all these childhood memories would surface. I felt so alone, but I was making new friends in the Soka Gakkai, and that was a great benefit. 

At one point I just wrote myself a determination to change in any way necessary to have friends. I realized there MUST be something I was doing, or thinking, or putting out there that was preventing me from having friends. 

So I determined to change IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE to have friends. And I chanted sincerely to the the Gohonzon (my Life) creating this reality. It didn't happen overnight. It wasn't one of those "easy benefits" for me. It took determination to continue chanting in the face of doubt. 

It took years of chanting for my District Members' happiness...and chanting to change my own character. And slowly I began adding more friends. I found people with positive outlooks and creative and beautiful characters. 

I worked at creating friendships. I called. I sent cards expressing my love and appreciation. I gave kind words. I found people who shared my interests and we made dates to go to events. I found people who also wanted friends, and who wanted to have me as a friend. 

And I introduced my friends to each other, until finally, I have circles of friends who know each other. What bliss! I chant for my friends and invite them to parties where we share poetry or books or music. I continue to chant for their happiness. 

If you are looking for friends please realize that you can have them. Chant for them. It is possible. Don't give up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment