Friday, December 20, 2013

It all Begins With Gongyo

A recent Sunset here in the Chicago Area...

Sometimes Gongyo (our morning and evening chanting of the Lotus Sutra) can become just another routine in our lives. We might not notice it at first. We may return a text, or answer a call, or get distracted. Then, we return to Daisaku Ikeda's words and we begin afresh with the spirit of "Hon nim myo" (meaning "from this moment forth"). 

After I read this guidance below I decided to tune up my own Gongyo and increase my concentration. From now on I turn my phone off. Yes. Off. And if I am interrupted, I begin again, so I can do a complete Gongyo. And I am concentrating on not doing anything...not leaving my seat, not looking away from the Gohonzon, until I have finished the prayers at the end. I am putting 100% of my effort into the solemn ceremony I perform twice a day. It feels wonderful. 

This Guidance came to me through my good friend in faith Amos Snell. 


It is based on SGI Vice President Mr. Matsushita's guidance given at FNCC to the Arts Division:


Sensei said: 
I always focus on the here and on the now. 
I strive to see this very moment. 
It's the only one I have. 
I put 100% of my life, my effort, 
into changing that moment. 
Anyone who lives their life this way 
will have tremendous fortune. 

Everything begins with Gongyo. 

Who will I present to the Gohonzon? 
WIll I present someone without confidence...
someone who questions if he deserves his benefits 
and is begging the Gohonzon to save him? 
Or will I present my true eternal self. 
If I chant with 
Optimism, 
Concrete Goals, 
Courage, 
Wisdom 
and Compassion 
I will generate the conviction that 
"I will make this happen 
based on the power of the Buddha Inside. 
When we chant our life fuses with the Mystic Law. 

Our life is as expansive as the whole universe  - 
it expands beyond our skin 
into the far reaches of the universe. 
Our life, 
powered with Daimoku 
can move anything in the universe. 

Thank you all for contacting me. I really enjoy hearing from you and receiving your feedback. I'm working on a post about attracting our soulmate. Do any of you have something you would like to offer the readers? Do you have victories to share? Or questions? Email chantforhappiness@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment