Sunday, December 22, 2013

Universal Power Prayer for Peace on Earth and Absolute Happiness for ALL


Hello! First of all, I want to make it clear that this blog is written by me, Jamie Lee Silver, and I have been practicing with the incredible SGI organization since the fall of 1985. My mentor in life is Daisaku Ikeda. Every day I chant to realize his dream for kosen-rufu, a world of respect and peace for all. I am a District Leader in the SGI and devote much of my time to chanting with members everywhere. Every blogpost is my own interpretation of this practice and is not an official representation of the Soka Gakkai Organization. It's personal. This blog came from my determination to change my karma, and to be an example for others that the impossible is possible. If I can alleviate depression and anxiety, lose 70 pounds, find my soulmate, and live almost every moment with no fear - then ANYONE can do it. I am not special. But I am devoted to revealing the power inherent in my life through this practice. I chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo every single day. My minimum amount is usually an hour and sometimes much more. (And there are days I can't chant as much ~ this is a lifelong practice, so if one day I only chant a little Daimoku (But I always do morning and evening Gongyo) I redetermine for the next day. I have found that practicing within the embrace of the Soka Gakkai is the only way to go. I cherish my leaders and my members and all my friends in faith. I wholeheartedly encourage you to connect with your friends in faith through the SGI. You can click on the portal to the right to find your local organization. Or email me at chantforhappiness@gmail.com and I can help you. 

What is PowerPrayer?

PowerPrayer is our suggested wording to focus on exactly what you want while you chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. As you are chanting, the PowerPrayers come into your mind like arrows and you aim them directly at your chosen targets. 

PowerPrayer is also what we have come to call our determination... or … replacement for our continuous conversation in our minds. If you begin to observe your mind with any degree of seriousness you will realize that your life and your thoughts actually do match one another. For instance, If a person prays once, for a rather brief moment in their day, about wanting something they felt astir deep in their heart, but then goes on to spend hours a day complaining— or worse, doubting— that their prayer can take form in the world, their prayer will not manifest. Their prayer, we might say, is not powerful. We have come to realize that it is a power within our own life that answers our prayers and not a “higher power.” When a person beseeches and asks of a “higher power” greater than themselves to grant wishes, they are claiming a role that is vastly inferior to the part of our life that can answer that prayer. Yes, that's right. We repeat, we believe, because we have found it to be true, that it is a power within our own life (that we access through chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo) that answers prayers and grants wishes, and the sooner we realize it, the better. And the more we come to appreciate and enjoy the process, the better.

In the meanwhile, We can use our minds as Buddha-minds; minds-- co-equivalent with the full force of consciousness that we call the universe, minds deep enough in compassion to grant wishes in the most wise and beneficial ways. Minds that 
are     
that
Powerful.

Become A force for Good

The heart is infinitely compassionate...
its fathomless rudder,
wisdom
—J. Landis

As Nichiren Buddhists we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to summon up our fathomless wisdom while steering our life-craft in the direction of our innermost desires. We chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo over and over and over again. We call this chanting Daimoku (Die-MO-Koo). Daimoku means title and the title of the Lotus Sutra (Shakyamuni Buddha’s self-proclaimed highest teaching) is  Myoho-Renge-Kyo.  The founder of this practice, Nichiren Daishonin, added to Myoho-renge-kyo  the syllable Nam which means “I devote my life to.” So, a brief translation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is, “I devote my life to the mystic law of cause and effect through sound vibration,” or, “I am one with the very rhythm of life.”

“Myoho-renge-kyo is the name of the ultimate mystic truth, and Nam-myoho-renge-kyo  is the name of the life state of Buddhas who embody and reveal this truth.” 
p.28 Lectures on “On Attaining Buddhahood in this Lifetime”, Daisaku Ikeda.

It actually becomes very natural over time to focus on a personal PowerPrayer while chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.  It is nothing more than putting your deepest fundamental wish into action. By chanting and focusing on our most cherished desire, we come to steer our lives with confidence in the direction of Buddhahood. Our lives become lives of immense creativity, wisdom and value, and most of all Love. For as we chant, rhythmically and powerfully, we exude into our environment a music that evokes our deepest, innermost capacity and transforms any manner of poison (problem) into a medicine (benefit), and further, into a nectar (deep happiness). 


Universal PowerPrayer for Happiness for ALL

Every Daimoku I chant
reaches every other person who is chanting
I deepen the power of my faith by 10,000
so that all who are chanting can also deepen their faith, spread the word of this great teaching 
to those still suffering
become absolutely happy
and create a happy and peaceful world!

I chant that every single person who is chanting 
feels the full power 
sees the full power
experiences the full power
of this faith in their lives. 

I chant for all members to have faith
receive incredible 
benefits
and to know, within their DNA itself 
within every cell in their body
that this practice works!

I chant for all who are chanting. 
May my prayer increase the power of their prayer! 

1 comment: