Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Heart of the Lotus Sutra ~ We are the Buddhas of Absolute Happiness



(Please subscribe to this blog by putting your email in the box to the right)

I've been reading the Lotus Sutra every day lately. I'm rereading the incredible book by Daisaku Ikeda "The Heart of the Lotus Sutra," and also the translation in the back of the Gongyo book we recite each day. And it's fascinating me. 

We are Buddhas, we are all Buddhas. This is the message of the Buddha. This is the message of Nichiren Daishonin and Daisaku Ikeda. 
And we access our Buddhahood by chanting the name of the Mystic Law inherent in our lives...Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. 

We have heard this time and again, and part of the reason we chant is to bring forth this feeling, this conviction, this knowing with our own lives. We are spending our lives exploring what it means to be a Buddha. 

So, it says at the back of the Gongyo book:

'Since I attained Buddhahood
the number of kalpas that have passed
is an immeasurable hundreds, 
thousands, ten thousands, 
millions, trillions, asamkhyas. 
Constantly I have preached the law, 
teaching, converting 
countless millions of living beings, 
causing them to enter the Buddha way, 
all this for immeasurable kalpas. 
In order to save living beings, 
as an expedient means I appear to enter nirvana
but in truth I do not pass into extinction. 
I am always here, preaching the law. 
I am always here, 
but through my transcendental powers
I make it so that living beings in their befuddlement
do not see me even when close by." 

The Liturgy of the Soka Gakkai International, page 22

If WE are the Buddha, as we know we are...this passage is further proof that we are eternal...that we are each eternal. 
We are the Buddha. Ben is the Buddha. We are all the Buddha, in the process of revealing this to ourselves. 

This morning I chanted two hours when I first woke up, and feel so grounded and centered after communing with my highest and best self. 

We are so fortunate to have this altar, this practice, and this Gohonzon to center our thoughts and focus our appreciation and desires. 

I am chanting for every door to open to me...for all I need to be shown to me...to change from the inside out, and accept all the good that is coming to me. I am chanting to be more useful for kosen-rufu than I HAVE EVER BEEN...that this year I (and all of us Boddhisatvas) truly, happily, joyously expand our lives...expand our happiness...expand our capabilities  ~ while welcoming in person after person who wants to join us in this lovely, beautiful dance of joy! 
Nam-myoho--renge-kyo!
















1 comment: