Monday, April 18, 2011

To Hoshi and all, About Overcoming Obstacles...Changing Your Karma!!

Dear Hoshi and readers, 


Congratulations Hoshi! You told me you have been chanting for a few months and all your smaller prayers have been answered...and now you are faced with your biggest desire and suddenly it is harder to chant and you seem to be stepping away from your practice.  There are three things I want to say:


1. Congratulations! You are meeting a chunk of karma that will make a difference throughout YOUR WHOLE LIFE when you overcome it! It is TOTALLY NORMAL to WANT TO STEP BACK AT THIS POINT, because this is when the "the three obstacles and four devils" come into play. They are nothing but functions within your own life that seek to HOLD YOU BACK. 
THIS is why we practice together and have friends in faith! These obstacles are nothing to be afraid of...it sounds like they are appearing as DOUBT and HOPELESSNESS. 


And I can tell you Hoshi and all, I have been there. Oh how I have been there. I can easily recite the litany that goes through my head..."Oh, I will never accomplish this...I've been trying so long and nothing has happened yet...what makes me think that chanting these words will get my life to break through...and besides...maybe I'm not good enough...maybe I don't chant correctly...maybe I'll never accomplish this"


When you have thoughts like this you should think "YES! I MUST be practicing correctly...I WILL BREAK THROUGH !!!"


And here's the crucial point:


2. If you keep steadfast...chant harder then ever....you WILL break through! This is what we mean by overcoming karma. If it were easy ...everyone would do it! IT TAKES COURAGE!!! It TAKES defeating those voices in your brain...but I'll tell you...YOU CAN DO IT...but only if you DON'T GIVE UP. If you slacken in your faith those voices will overtake your desire and you will be defeated. Don't let it happen to you. You are a Buddha. 


"Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is like the ROAR of a LION, what sickness (meaning what obstacle) can therefore be an obstacle" Nichiren Daishonin


And when I say chant harder...I MEAN what I say. 


Gaze up at the Gohonzon, which IS your own life and Tell Your Life:


"I don't CARE how many times these doubts and fears appear before me...I have the GOHONZON now...and I can chant. I will NEVER give in. MY LIfe will be victorious because I have to PROVE the power of the Gohonzon, the power of my own life, so that I can stop suffering, achieve my desires, and I can be an example to those around me that chanting works!


And when you pray like this YES, obstacles will arise. They are supposed to!!!!
Just defeat them...don't let them get the better of you. 
Study the World Tribune and President Ikeda's writings and the Gosho as much as you can. Tell people about this practice to the best of your ability, and Hoshi...you will be writing me your victories in life. Don't worry about it taking a while...if you are chanting like this you will enjoy many benefits along the way. 


3. And consider EVERYTHING in your life as a benefit. Even the bad things. They are all fuel for the fire of your desire. Say THANK YOU to your life, smile through your tears and KEEP ON CHANTING!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie,

    Thank you very much! I am reading this everyday to refresh my resolve to chant. I chanted yesterday and it feels really good. For a moment I felt that all that I desire I already have with me and I kept thanking Gohonzon for everything. :)

    Hoshi

    ReplyDelete