Sunday, December 27, 2015

8 Questions to Start the New Year Positively



I always begin a new year by evaluating the last year...
I ask myself the following questions: 

1. What am I proud of - 
what are my main accomplishments from 2014? 
2. What COULD I be proud of? 
3. What did I read?
4. What did I learn? 
5. What new idea/modality/practice did I experience? 
6. What will I write down in my journal for the end of 2015? 
7. What am I determined to record at the end of next year's journal? 
7. Whose lives did I impact? 

And I write out a list of positive accomplishments in all areas of my life, mind-body-spirit. 

And I also take a look at the not-so-positive aspects of last year. 

1. What can I do better? 
2. What behavior will I commit to changing? 
3. What behavior will I commit to doing consistently? 

I also like to write out a vision of what I want my life to be. I do that every year. I write it in the present tense and put in all the elements I want. Then I read it often. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking back on last year is a harder than ever this year. Of course. 
But if I can face my life right now...if I can not give up and make a new determination to create a life of brilliant victory. Well then, so can you!

So the new year is a great time say: 

"Hon Nim Myo! From this moment forth!" 

Now is the time to bring forth more power from within my life than ever before. Now, because of what I have suffered, I can help so many more people. I can be a better source for good. I can create more happiness for myself and others. 

We can live in the present. It is all we can do. 
It is what we must do. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the December 2015 Living Buddhism, Daisaku Ikeda writes: 

"In a Buddhist scripture, Shakyamuni states: 

"The past should not be followed after, 
the future not desired. 
What is past is got rid of 
and the future has not come. 
But whoever has vision now here, 
now there, of a present thing, 
Knowing that it is immovable, unshakable, 
for him to cultivate it. 
Swelter at the task this very day" 

Daisaku Ikeda continues:

"It is foolish to endlessly suffer and agonize over the past, 
or to needlessly fret and worry about the unknown future. 
Instead, we should concentrate on taking care 
of the things that we have to do today. 
What is important is that we live each day 
earnestly and conscientiously.
This is the Buddha's message. 

Those who live long lives are for the most part optimists. 
I hope that you will live each day joyfully and with genuine optimism."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 



No comments:

Post a Comment