Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Taking it One Step at a Time

(You can now subscribe by putting your email in the box to the right)

Have you ever felt that there's just too much on your plate? 

Too many decisions to make, too much to do...and you just feel stuck, and barely even remember how to chant? Well, I can relate! I know some of you feel this way because you write me and ask "Where do I start? How can I accomplish X?" 

So this morning, as I was talking to my life in the wonderful ceremony we do every morning...our "trueing ceremony" of gongyo, our recitation of the Lotus Sutra, I battled again with too much in my mind...and then a total blank...not really knowing where to start...and I just kept chanting. 

Even though I was thinking "this isn't very organized thought" (which is self-slander!) I kept chanting, and I felt this ease come over me. I changed focus from trying to solve ALL my problems at once, and figure EVERYTHING out TODAY, and I just started chanting to be present, to make good decisions, to have wisdom in every moment today, and to take it one step at a time... 

So, after this morning's gongyo, I feel refreshed. Calm. Taking it a step at a time. 

And for all of you who write me and say "I don't know how to get started chanting again." or "I'm finding it almost impossible to chant." I can tell you to just keep going. Don't slander yourself or get down on yourself. Sit in front of the Gohonzon, your precious life, and say "I am breaking through. I will complete the time I promised myself I would chant. I will just keep going." And, as Daisaku Ikeda says: Don't Give Up! 

3 comments:

  1. Today really I was thinking the same so got the answer thanks for all your posts' and encouragements

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you for this post. I was having the same experience this morning, just feeling overwhelmed with the challenges in my life. I, too, had a moment, where I just began to pray for a 'breakthrough' with all my problems and just to be grateful for all that is positive in my life. Once the focus was on the certainty of a breakthrough, I just felt calm as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for the last three days....beautiful. Jamie.
    I am more satisfied completing Gongyo and then my daimoku. You've inspired me to redo it like this. I find that I am focussing much more this way

    ReplyDelete