Saturday, March 1, 2014

Problems Can Be Our Greatest Benefits ~ They are SPRINGBOARDS to our Happiness


I just finished chanting 4 hours of daimoku, and then spent a joyful hour and a half teaching gongyo to a new young woman. How wonderful!
After I write this post I'm off to re-enshrine a dear friend's Gohonzon, then I'm off to a play with one of my new friends from work. LIfe is good!

When we are practicing Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, problems galvanize our lives. 
For every problem I've ever had, I can look back on it and say "If it weren't for that problem I would not have achieved__________." 
Problems make us focus. Problems make us chant. 
They really are our benefits. Nichiren Buddhists say this all the time, and we are telling the truth. 

When we can view our problems...even the really big ones, through this lens of positivity - and USE them to fuel our chanting, fuel our actions for kosen-rufu and make even fiercer determinations to create value in our lives...THEN we are truly practicing as Nichiren Daishonin and Daisaku Ikeda have taught us. 

But we don't always immediately greet our problems with a big yahoo, do we? At least I don't. Not always. With the recent challenge I've been facing, I have had my moments of tears and sadness...and I have spent some time decompressing and watching a bit of TV. But I never skipped Gongyo, did my best to chant, studied every day, and rose in spirits through helping others. I know it's an age-old adage, but helping others really IS the direct route to getting out of our own suffering. 

We KNOW that each problem is the springboard to something new, exciting and positive in our life and in the lives of others. How do we know this? We are Votaries of the Lotus Sutra. We chant the name of the Mystic Law, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, and help others to the best of our ability. We will win! 

Practicing together is so important. We grow when we learn. We grow when we teach. We need each other if we really want to be victorious in this practice. 

Our Soka Gakkai friendships are golden.

Daisaku Ikeda says: 
"Those who make many friends have greater opportunities for growth and self-development; they make society a better place and lead happy, satisfying lives. In every situation, human relations ~ communication and personal interactions ~ are vital. We need to initiate and nurture friendships and contacts with many people, both within the organization and in society at large. Our lives will open and be enriched to the extent that we do so." 
Faith in Action page 221

1 comment:

  1. Been trying to leave you a comment without much success. Just wanted to say your blog has become a nice part of my day and I appreciate you being so candid. Thanks, Rod

    ReplyDelete