Monday, February 7, 2011

The Meaning of Faith

In this unique practice of chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo,
what does it mean to have faith?

What do we have faith in?

Great question!

Since we are ALL Buddhas, and we ALL possess the power of the entire universe within us, we have faith in our ability to tap that vital life force inside us, and make it manifest in the direction we so choose.

There is a famous phrase in the writings of Nichiren Daishonin that states:

"Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is like the roar of a lion. What sickness can therefore be an obstacle?"

Sickness can mean physical ailment, but it also has a much broader meaning...any kind of suffering can be inserted here. The point is, that chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is stronger than any kind of problem one might have. By chanting these words victory is assured.

The point of having strong faith is to summon up, WHILE we are chanting, the conviction that we WILL accomplish whatever it is we are chanting about. While we are chanting we are vowing success in our minds...AS we chant. Chanting with this strong conviction held in our minds fills a person with endless vitality and FAITH.

Right now many Soka Gakkai members are making determinations towards the date of February 27th, 2011. On that date we will be gathering together and sharing our successes from our determinations.
My determination is to get a job to support the next phase of my life...one where I can make enough money to move out, support myself, and one that fulfills my list of requirements. I have several possibilities working now...let's see what I create.

I also will write some query letters about turning this blog into a book. It has such a great story from beginning to end. Every time I sit down to work on a book proposal or query letter I hear all kinds of doubt in my brain. I am determined either to rid my brain of doubt, or to get the query letters done even WITH the doubt in my brain.

How about YOU? Can you summon up determination and faith to make something important happen in your life by the 27th of February?
What could it be?
Around the first of the year I made a determination to get over a sad feeling that was lingering. And by the first of the year I was able to get rid of that feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment