Thursday, July 5, 2012

Why I do Shakubuku! (Introduce others to this practice)



Here I am with my dear, dear friend Julia on Mt Tamalpais 

Almost two years ago Julia and I spent time together after a break of about 7 years or so. We first met many, many years ago when I lived in San Francisco and my boys were little. She says she will never forget the first time she heard me chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. She and her husband Cliff were downstairs...and she was just amazed at the effect the sound had on her. 


But she wasn't ready to practice for almost twenty years! 


When I saw her again my life shakubukued her. (That's a great word we use to describe introducing someone to the practice and the SGI) I was experiencing very difficult circumstances but I was so poised, and my life condition was so high...she felt compelled to learn to chant!
Julia asked me and Ben (my son) to chant with her.

At the time she was so sick. It's hard to even think of her that way. Now she is such a vibrant Buddha! She is introducing others to this practice and healing ALL areas of her life. And we take turns encouraging each other! It is amazing. You shakubuku someone and they shakubuku you right back !


Two posts today! Make sure to scroll down to see the one from this morning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment