Friday, December 2, 2011

Chanting to Expand My Capacity

You know what happens when you introduce someone to Buddhism? You end up learning so much from them!!!
I have talked before about my friends Danielle and Julia in Northern California who've been chanting just over a year. They are incredibly wise Buddhas. 


Julia has changed her life in so many ways. When she started chanting she was literally dying. Her body suffered from many ailments and her spark was seeping day by day from her life. 


The minute she started chanting she understood the profundity of this prayer, and has dedicated herself to fully exploring the power of chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo across the three existences...past, present, futures...changing her life and the lives of so many others. She studies Buddhism with a depth of understanding that illuminates the practice for me as well. We go back and forth encouraging each other with our lives. That is how it works. That is why friends in faith are so crucial. 


The other day I was experiencing suffering anew about something I've written about in here many times...the world of hunger...longing... 


Here is the wise guidance she gave me:


Chant to expand your capacity. 


She said chanting for capacity had enabled her to release a certain suffering that had seared into her life recently....and that BECAUSE of that suffering she had changed her relationship with her wonderful husband in a really incredible way. She had changed on the INSIDE, which is the whole point of this practice. And when you change on the INSIDE,  your environment HAS TO CHANGE. THAT IS THE POWER OF CHANTING NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO. THAT IS WHY IT WORKS. 


So I am sitting here this morning chanting to expand my capacity. As I chant my brain is filling with determination to expand my capacity for JOY, expand my capacity for HAPPINESS, expand for capacity for WISDOM, and for every other thing I want. What would this mean to my life? I don't know yet. I have already strengthened my life quite a bit...what else is possible??? What if I expand my capacity for suffering? Does that mean I actually will not suffer as much? I can't wait to see. 


Oh how I appreciate this fabulous practice I embrace! How hopeful I feel at every turn! How I am chanting in appreciation! 
I am chanting for you and sending joy into your heart too.....may you embrace this practice and use it to bring a level of happiness...unshakable happiness...the lifeforce of the BUDDHA YOU ARE into your life forever!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment