Monday, January 4, 2016

Shakubuku = Personal Expansion and Wisdom!



I think I told you I have a new shakubuku (Baby Buddha!). She found out about the SGI through Chantforhappiness.com and her incredible seeking spirit. 

I am having the greatest joy bringing her up. You know, one of the Gakkai's guidelines for the year is to have each of us raise one person, just ONE person into this faith.  

There are a lot of reasons for this guideline. Yes, kosen-rufu - a world of respect for all beings, is on the horizon. And each of us can live lives of great good causes to divert war and pain and usher in the age of respect for all life - kosen rufu. Shakubuku is the means for this to happen. 

Through Shakubuku we help others become happy, and we grow ourselves. 

I chanted to have one person come into my life who wants to practice, who wants to receive Gohonzon (she will get hers this Thursday because an obstacle came up for her on New Year's Day), and who will practice their whole life. I wrote this goal down in December 

Here are some thoughts on successfully raising a new member. 

STUDY. I am studying every day so I can discuss this study with Crystal. 

I am chanting for her and talking with her every day.

She has a strong seeking spirit. She is thirsty for this practice. She is calling me to learn more! It is refreshing my seeking spirit and a cause for my own expansion. 

What is Seeking Spirit? 
The will to learn more, to bring life to YOU, and not wait for it to come to you! 

How do we grow our seeking spirit? We take action. We call our fellow members. We study. We chant. 

If your seeking spirit has flagged, this is a great time to renew it!
Call your leaders. Read President Ikeda's guidance. REALLY study the monthly Gosho. Read it more than once. Find the words that are speaking right to you! 

The daily, twice a day, recitation of the sutra is crucial. Establishing a twice daily practice at the beginning - and RIGHT NOW is very important - even if it is only 5 minutes of chanting in the morning and evening. 

Happy first Monday of the New Year!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your inspiring blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. So happy to read your post this morning. Anytime we can inspire each other is value creation. The ongoing journey of "raising up someone to practice for their lifetime" is a sometimes arduous journey, fun journey, frustrating journey, enlightening journey. "To accept is easy to continue is difficult"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love your encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the monthly gosho and how do I access it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can subscribe to Living Buddhism through the SGI-USA.org site. The link is on the top right of this page.

      Delete