Monday, October 15, 2012

Have a Powerful Week!

I chanted a LOT this weekend...

I probably chanted 5 or 6 hours all told. On Saturday morning I chanted about two hours but I was distracted by the phone, texts and my own mind. I really battled to stay connected to my prayer, and I know I had an impact, but it was not a continuous flow of chanting. I was chanting for my son and his college Cross Country race. 

It turns out he got a cramp in the race and barely finished, but talking to him later ~ his life-condition was sky high. He had actually had a great day and didn't feel defeated at all!  See, that's one of the key points of the Buddhism of the SUN...How we deal with and react to what life presents. 

We wish we could control everything sometimes. But we really can't....at least not every minute of every day. Right? So what do we do? How do we live those precious minutes in the midst of our disappointment? On Saturday night I thought I was going to have something lined up with someone...and when it fell through what did I do? I ran across the pond (well, not literally!) and walked on the treadmill for almost an hour listening to uplifting music and I felt GREAT! 

Chanting gives you the High Life Condition to soar in life like an eagle - NO MATTER WHAT! And it gives you the tools to make your dreams come true...but we HAVE to persevere because some of those dreams take longer than others! 


I knew my Daimoku had been distracted on Saturday morning, so I made a determination to chant for three hours on Sunday morning...a SOLID three hours with no phone and no distractions. I sent an email to my District and three wonderful people came to chant the last hour with me. It wasn't easy, but I have so much to chant about and such determinations to fulfill. 

I feel absolutely great. I am making steady progress in all areas of my life. I am chanting for benefits to share with YOU to inspire YOU. And every day I see benefits...I am fearless...I am happy.  For various reasons I can't share every single one of them with you, but I'll share as many as I can. 

Here is one benefit. You know how I love it when you write your thoughts and share your inspiration with me, right? 
This morning I got an email from a new friend in the UK, and I'll share it with you now:

"Thank you for your encouragement, I am fighting the Glums today and your post made me look at the quote I have attached to my computer to remind me to just keep chanting.  
How big are my problems, really?  I am not exiled in a hut in the middle of a graveyard in the depths of winter, yet his faith made it a caribbean holiday to him.... (she is talking about Nichiren Daishonin,  who first chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, inscribed the Gohonzon and started this modern practice of Buddhism that had been predicted by Shakyamuni Buddha - He was exiled to a hut on Sado island and wrote some of his most important letters (Gosho) from there, declaring he was "the happiest man in all of Japan". 

The quote is:
" Do not have doubts simply because heaven does not lend you protection.  Do not be discouraged because you do not enjoy an easy and secure existance in this life...Foolish men are likely to forget the promises they have made when the crucial moment comes." 
And Pres Ikeda states our promise was appear as a bodhisattva of the earth and accomplish kosen-rufu.  Best get to work then."


THANK YOU friend in the UK! Thanks for reminding us all that we made a vow to return during this dark age and that the problems we face are the EXACT ones we need to change our karma for our entire families and all of humanity. We ALL have such a noble mission. 

Please remember that whatever YOU are facing...YOU are the one chanting and opening the door to happiness for the millions of people waiting. You are so important. You are a Buddha...THE Buddha, as are we all. Let's make it a powerful week! We can change anything!

1 comment:

  1. We are in alignment, Jamie, as always.
    This weekend I understood, while chanting, the Daishonin's spirit on this point. In my words:

    There is a happiness to experience when we suffer.
    It is called strength.

    ReplyDelete