Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Wonderful Benefit! A Poem from my son Ben

My wonderful son is about to turn twenty...and is going through a transformation in how he sees his life...and how he sees his place in life. I've posted about my sons before...Aaron and Ben. I have adored every moment of being their mother. I have loved playing with them, chanting with them, watching them run, and encouraging them with all my heart. I raised my sons as Buddhists...teaching them to chant for everything...to end bad dreams, to solve relationship problems, to stop bullies. We have chanted together since they were babies. I believe in them...I believe in their happiness and their hearts! Here is Ben's heartfelt poem he gave to me on last week in honor of my birthday in September. Oh thank you Ben!!

Mother Oh Mother


I've been wandering around 
Wasting my youth in a stupor
A sheet of incomplete understanding was pulled over my eyes
Only to disguise
What I could not see

Always alone and always right
I searched and searched for people to help legitimize
My feelings of knowing everything
Though I could not see, this was my irrational belief 

I judged and I judged
And I judged the judgers who judged me
I ignored those loving souls
By thinking they were more people that I had to beat

I ignored those around me 
Who loved me 
Despite me closing them off
And mother oh mother I ignored you most of all

I thought I was so separate
In a different world that was untouchable
But now that our worlds have collided I see I am no different at all
Just another soul, searching, sometimes loitering
I thought I had to figure everything out myself

Mother oh mother 
You've always been so warm
You welcomed me to this world 
To you I was a whole world in your arms

You've understood my journey from the very beginning
You created a self-fulfilling prophecy inside of me

You held me so tight that the world was alright
You told me you always knew that I was going to be fine

That despite my mind,
I know I will always have your love

Despite my foolishness you know I am somewhere
Maybe too far away and ignorant at the moment
But you stuck around and waited patiently guiding me from above 
Swooping and watching and loving like a dove

You fed me and clothed me, and made sure I was healthy
In a time where I was too defiant to realize you were always showing your love for me

I thought I was a bad child
But you were too smart
You helped me discover 
That I had a great big heart

You instilled in me a love
As selflessly as anyone can do anything
You opened my eyes to the amazing world of spiritualism

All in all when I look back I picture
That I was a little pup and you were so tender
And that little pup grew an ego, 
Some self-righteousness, insecurities and an agenda,

But when he finally yawned and stretched out his paws,
He awoke to this world sure of nothing but your love.
Mother, oh mother I love you with all my heart
I could cry at how beautiful a person you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment