Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Daisaku Ikeda's Guidance



TO continue advancing on the path of mentor and disciple for the next 10, 20, 30 years, even if no one is watching our efforts – that is the spirit of a genuine practitioner of Buddhism.


EVERYTHING is contained in the single word, faith. It encompasses truth, courage, wisdom and good fortune. It includes compassion and humanity as well as peace, culture and happiness. Faith is eternal hope; it is the secret to limitless self-development. Faith is the most basic principle for growth.


THIS is the age of self-indulgence. Therefore, those who lack a clear direction in life inadvertently drift towards merrymaking and pleasure-seeking. The organization of kosen-rufu and SGI activities direct one towards self-improvement and towards realizing true fulfillment in life. No action taken based on faith is wasted. In every respect, such actions will come to take on the greatest significance.


OPTIMISTS are raised by good mothers. It is important for mothers to be optimistic and not brood over their troubles. Such cheerfulness, while not only being beneficial for the mother herself, will also become a source of strength for the children throughout their lives. If a mother is full of vitality, then her children will be also. Thus, she will enable the whole family and those around them to feel at ease to go about their activities full of hope.

THERE are innumerable types of suffering. What we should realise is that the times when we suffer severely are also when we challenge and change our karma, and unlock the door to great good fortune. True happiness means to establish a condition in which we can gladly face even the greatest suffering and overcome it.

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Silver,

    Thank you so much for your blog. It is inspirational.

    I have been practicing since 2000. I have overcome so many ridiculously impossible things that would blow your mind. (Believe me--whenever I give an experience, nobody believes me--until somebody who watched me transform the situation pipes up and says, "Yep! I remember that!" I have had an interesting life).

    But now I am on a different path. I've overcome a lot of bad things, but I am now in the unique and certainly enviable position of being able to chant for something I actually want. But it seems impossible.

    I am a comedy writer. I am very good at what I do. My dream job is to produce television comedies on a major network. The only significant experience I have had is producing some work for PBS which was the most exhilarating, amazing, fantastic thing I have ever done.

    I thought that the obstacles were too big. I am in the wrong city (Ann Arbor, Michigan), there are no comedies being filmed here, all of my connections are in Los Angeles (where I used to live until I got married three years ago) and I have little experience other than the educational stuff.

    But still... I love it. Oh, how I love it. It is with tears in my eyes that I share with you that I. Love. Comedy.

    So. What to do?

    I had decided to give up. After years of (haphazardly) trying to get into the business, I said that this is not for me. This is ironic because I chanted hard and long and passionately for my new husband to get HIS dream job. He thought it was impossible, but I knew otherwise. I wanted to prove to him the power of the Gohonzon. And so I did. And he got it. And now he chants.

    But the dream for me...well...

    And then...

    And then, while in front of the Gohonzon, I cried.

    I cried today because I have overcome so much. Why can't I get this? I have overcome cancer, homelessness, wrongful conviction, abuse, racism. I mean, really. I have conquered some Stuff.

    So, why not this? It was just too big. It's too big. That was my mantra, instead of nam myoho renge kyo.

    So I jumped online with the intent to find pioneer members sage advice to determine what I should do. And I ran across your blog. And read almost all of the entries.

    Ms. Silver, I just forgot, is all. I forgot that the thing that seems impossible is the thing that I should chant for. The thing that seems out of reach is the thing that I should go for.

    The best testimony is the one where all seems lost. So let my life be proof, Gohonzon.

    Just this morning, I reestablished contact with my district. I will attend their daimoku toso on Saturday, and will start going to meetings again. (I had stopped for a time).

    And I will chant with zeal, this time for that which I want more than anything else--to bring laughter and happiness to millions through responsibly written, women-positive shows. (Like 30 Rock).

    Thank you so much, Ms. Silver. Thank you for reminding me why I got into this practice in the first place.

    ReplyDelete