Thursday, May 28, 2015

Encouraging the Person Right In Front of Us


(You can now subscribe 
by putting your email in the box to the right)
From the May 3rd World Tribune, Daisaku Ikeda states in the essay "What is the Correct Path in Life?" page 4

"The eminent British historian 
Arnold Toynbee (1889-1975) 
affirmed his belief 
that the only way to relieve the sufferings of our world 
is through some sort of religious faith, 
which could take the form 
of love for others or concern for their happiness; 
something bigger than ourselves 
that leads to overcoming self-centeredness and egotism. 
This is the perfect description of you, 
the members of the SGI who, 
embracing the eternal and indestructible Mystic Law, 
strive to encourage the person right in front of you 
and dedicate yourselves to realizing the great dream of kosen-rufu."

That's us, isn't it? 
Every day striving. Every day Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to be the Buddha at every moment. We chant for wisdom...we chant for understanding...we chant for ourselves and for our fellow travelers along the road. We chant to show actual proof that summoning the Mystic Law by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo every single morning and evening works...and to inspire others.

At every moment, through every trial, I strive to be the example of someone who really, sincerely, cares for others. This last place Ben lived in Evanston was full of people who looked very different from the people I usually encounter day-to-day. 
Each time I visited I enjoyed meeting these new friends and sharing new smiles. 
And with each professional, I felt and expressed heartfelt appreciation for the good work they do. At every moment I, just like you, am the Buddha in the world. 
Right now, that place is refusing Ben reentry, and I am doing what I can to appeal their decision.  I am determined to find him the help he needs - whether here or elsewhere.  
I am continuing to follow my guidance to chant to end the karma of mental illness in my life, and in my family forever.

I don't know how the victory is going to unfold. That's something we just don't know. All we can do is live each moment just like our mentor states...encouraging the person in front of us. 

On Tuesday, I gave my speech Growing Older, Bolder, BETTER! to an audience of people who are aged 50 or better. Three people stayed to talk to me at length. One said that this morning was her "Hon nim myo" and my speech was her new beginning. I love my life! 

3 comments:

  1. Jamie, I have been reading your blog for a while now. I started practicing a little over 3 years ago. I was wondering if you had considered doing a live-streaming webinar for your Growing Bolder presentation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie ,
    There is absolutely no reason that u will not will. A person like you who has touched so many lives is destined to win and show great actual proofs . Ben will be in best hands and live a long happy healthy life and we will not even remember that something like this ever happened . Lots of love

    ReplyDelete