Sunday, November 25, 2012

Happy Holidays

I put up my Christmas tree today...
with all the trimmings, 
and twinkling lights all over my home. 
It's awesome. 
Although I have never been a Christian, I grew up in Oak Park Illinois and we celebrate Christmas here. We sing carols, we give gifts, we go to Christmas shows, we give gifts, and we spread holiday cheer. One of the best things about being a practitioner of Nichiren Buddhism is we can continue our cultural heritage in whatever form we choose. 
It is no stranger for me to have a Christmas tree now than it was when I had a tree as a child. 
All of us, in any country we live, we can celebrate whatever customs we wish. 
And we come together to chant. We'll chant in this room with the Christmas tree here. 

Let the Christmas season commence. Happy Holidays! 

1 comment: