Monday, November 26, 2012

Overcoming Fear

This photo is courtesy of my friend Axel Koch. He just went though the Panama Canal last week.

I've been considering the nature of fear lately. I mean, here I am, living on my own, and I was just laid off. (My last dy is this Friday) One would think that I would be really scared. I probably would be scared if I didn't have this practice. But I'm not at all scared. I chant Daimoku (Nam Myoho Renge Kyo) every day to have confidence in my life itself. I chant enough Daimoku to override my fear, and keep the negativity and fear far away from my brain. I know that with every chant I am connecting to the power of the universe itself. My life is unstoppable. How could I be afraid?

I am filled with appreciation for my last job, and I'm really looking forward to working with the outplacement firm that will help me with my resume and job finding skills. 

The primary thing I can say today is that I always chant enough Daimoku to keep any fear at bay. The moment I feel any creeping fear or sadness in the corner of my mind I head straight to the Gohonzon and chant. I vow to be victorious in all areas of my life. I am determined to turn this "log" into a fresh flame of benefit. The Gosho (writing of Nichiren Daishonin) for this month is "A Ship to Cross the Sea of Suffering." I have embedded some of the quotes from this Gosho into my life. I will be leading a discussion on this Gosho at my house this Wednesday. 

"In the Latter Day of the Law, the votary of the Lotus Sutra will appear without fail. (That's me and you) The greater the hardships befalling him the greater the delight he feels, because of his strong faith. Doesn't a fire burn more briskly when logs are added?"

The Gosho goes on to state that "...anyone who teaches others even a single phrase of the Lotus Sutra is clearly the Buddha's envoy." 

and 

"Even a single phrase cherished deep in one's heart will without fail help him to reach the opposite shore. To ponder one phrase and practice it is to exercise navigation."

The Gosho is rich with phrases to cherish. When I was a young Buddhist I cherished "Suffer what there is to suffer, and enjoy what there is to enjoy, and continue chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo no matter what happens. Then you will experience boundless joy from the law." from the Gosho called Happiness in this World. 

At the moment I am cherishing my hardships and using them to fuel me forward, and increase my ability to connect with people, to have compassion and to inspire! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I am determined to use my own struggles as an opportunity to grow, and develop my practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame y᧐u ɗon't һave а donate button! I'd ceгtainly donate to this superb blog!
    І suppose f᧐r now i'll settle for book-marking and adding yoᥙr RSS feed tto mʏ Googke
    account. I lοok forward to new updates аnd wilⅼ share tһis website with my Facebook grouр.
    Chat ѕoon!

    ReplyDelete