Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mamta's Hurricane Experience

Here is an experience from Mamta, a blog reader. Thank you Mamta for sending this in! 

Is it YOUR turn next?  

I invite ALL readers to share your experience here on this blog.
 Get published! Encourage people! Send your experience to chantforhappiness@gmail.com.  

Mamta and her Children. 



This experience is from Mamta Neb who lives in Princeton, New Jersey. The picture of the downed tree above is an example of the destruction of the hurricane that was close to her house. Thank you Mamta for sharing this with us.


Mamta's Hurricane Experience:
I started practicing Nichiren Buddhism in June 2011 while I was posted in Singapore. I moved out from Singapore in November 2011 to the US. Though, I started this practice out of sheer curiosity due to the fact my sister in India is one of the senior members. However, ever since I started this, I have seen my life COMPLETELY changed for the better. While there are lots to share about my triumphs and victories where the negative circumstances were soon masked by the positive changes which maximized the potential to achieve happiness, I would definitely like to share one of the most notable benefits that I recently saw during the Hurricane.
In the last 100 years, Hurricane Sandy had quickly acclaimed the title of being one of the worst hurricanes the east coast had both witnessed and dealt with. This being my first hurricane, I could have never imagined how devastating it could be. My friends and neighbors shared their experiences related to the last few hurricanes (Irene, Katrina) and how they were hit by power outages/loss of water/ flooded basements/ falling trees etc. While I heard all this, I was very confident that we would be safe this time and would not face any problems as we have the Power of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.
I started chanting earnestly in front of Gohonzhon and was consistently praying for our protection as well as those who surrounded us. I was confident that my prayers would be answered. My family and I were sure to chant for our protection and happiness in this time where we needed it the most.
The Strom hit us on Monday. It started raining since Monday morning and towards the evening, there was a heavy wind (almost at a speed of 50-60 miles per hour). I went to see the condition in the basement and was scared to see the water level which was rising high in the Sump pump. Usually, when the water level goes beyond a particular level, the pump starts automatically flushing the water out. As expected, we lost the power at 6 PM in the evening while it was still raining outside. I fell into despair and everyone in the family and our neighborhood got apprehensive about the flooding basement. At that very moment, I made a strong determination that NO MATTER WHAT, none of us including ourselves and the people around us would have the Flooding Basements and Falling Trees. I chanted to fulfill my mission and to show actual proof of my chanting and to reap the benefits as well.
I continued to chant all this while and finally went off to sleep with a growing sense of confidence and hope.
The next day when we all woke up, the first thing that I did was run to the basement to check the water condition expecting a flooded basement. I came downstairs expecting the worst only to have all my previous assumptions to be challenged. The basement was completely dry without a sight of a leak anywhere. The water levels in the Sump pump did not rise up beyond the "threshold" mark. My eyes brimmed with water as I knew that the Universe had just given me protection.
The Strom had stopped outside. We went out in our neighborhood to check the condition with our neighbours and to my utmost joy, none of our neighbors had flooded basements. There were no trees on the road except one at the back yard of our neighbors which did not cause any damage. At that very moment, I felt such a Great Sense of Gratitude towards the Mystic Law and an unshakable confidence of 100% victory.
It was unbelievable that an area which was approximate 1.5 - 2 miles from our house was completely saved. There were no trees on the road and hence no damage whatsoever.
As we made the drive out of our area and onto the road to see how others weathered this storm, it was devastating to see these enormous trees that once stood firmly were now spread across the roads. I have attached some pictures that I took that depict exactly what we saw as we drove by.
The Mystic Law is exactly what it spells, mystic. I don’t know how it happened, but I’ve come to realize that this Mystic Power blankets us with protection at any given moment in time. It’s give and take really, the more firm our belief in the Mystic faith, the more we can get out of it with any given circumstance that may be thrown at us. And in this, we can see that our protection is a direct result of the positive functions that are always in the works by our Universe.
In closing remarks, I would like to share one of the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol. 1. p, 614 - "The Supremacy of the Law".
"So long one maintains firm faith [in the Mystic Law], one is certain to receive the great protection of the gods [the positive functions of the Universe]. I say this for your sake. I know your faith has always been admirable, but now you must strengthen it more than ever."
Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment