Sunday, June 29, 2014

Why Do I Chant? Why do We Chant?

Enjoying every moment in Ojai, and Venture. 

Here's Etjen, my friend of 30+ years (who lives in Seattle) and me at the beach in Ventura. 

Why do I chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo? 

Why do we chant? 

I am speaking for myself when I say 
I chant because it works. 
I chant to make my dreams come true. 
I chant to continue to bring forth all the creative, 
beautiful universe that lies within me, 
and within everyone. 
I chant for all those who are still suffering like I was, 
before I found the tool of chanting. 

I chant for the end of suffering ~ everywhere 
I chant for all to realize their dreams.
I chant for us all to be happy, and live in a world of respect. Kosen-rufu, as we call it.   

I chant, as Nichiren Daishonin and Daisaku Ikeda say 

"To discard the transient and reveal the true."

What does that mean? 
What is the transient? 
The transient is self doubt
The transient is fear
The transient is any part of me that doesn't see the vast potential of my life. 
The transient is any part of my identity that lingers from any painful experience I have ever felt. 
The transient is any part of me that believes that the impossible is impossible. 

What is the true? 
The true is strength of spirit
the wisdom to make the best decisions for my life
and to be able to act upon them
as I write, direct and act in the beautiful story that is the life of Jamie Lee Silver, 
who sought and found the Mystic Law, 
the Nam-myoho-renge-kyo that is the deepest rhythm, 
my heart, any heart, has ever know. 

And now, because I chant, 
because I encourage 
and am encouraged 
by my wonderful friends in the Soka Gakkai, 
and wonderful friends all over, 
I have the pleasure of living my life 
sharing this incredible law, 
sharing Daisaku Ikeda's heart, 
and making friends all around the world. 

If you want to connect email me at chantforhappiness@gmail.com 



1 comment: