Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Just FIVE More Minutes~* YOU Can Do It! Persevere!


"When you think, “I can’t do anymore. I need a break,” that is the time to challenge yourself to keep going another five minutes. Those who persevere for even an extra five minutes will win in life."

Daisaku Ikeda, Ikedaquotes.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(You can now subscribe to this blog by putting your email in the box to the right)
This blog is written by Jamie Lee Silver, an SGI member for 30 years as of October 20th this year. I do not speak officially for the SGI, although I am an active member. I speak from my own heart.)

Just FIVE more minutes! Or just START with FIVE minutes. That's what I did. When I first began chanting the name of the Mystic law, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, I could only chant for five minutes in the morning and the evening. And those FIVE minutes were not easy ~ I will tell you!. I kept a timer next to me and sometimes really struggled. 

I hear from some of you how hard it is to chant, and that your life is really hard, and believe me, I get it. I know how hard life can be and I know how hard it can be to chant. I really mean this. I also know that when I challenge myself to complete gongyo, to complete the time I've set aside to chant, and to wake up early to get that hour in  - well, it makes the REST of my life go that much more smoothly. No doubt. No doubt. 


I hear from you "I can't chant" and I say "that is an obstacle! You can overcome it! " ...Find someone to chant with...make yourself chant...go for FIVE minutes and it will change your life. Do it every morning and evening and you are on your way - you are tuning your life to the rhythm of the universe. 

I've also had questions about chanting in your head. Does it work...is it enough? 

Yes, obstacles occur. They HAVE to occur and they are supposed to occur. Our attitude about those obstacles defines who we are and what we achieve. I just had one of the biggest obstacles, right? It feels funny even calling the death of my son an "obstacle," but, that's what it was. And I have a choice...will I be fooled by this...stop chanting...say "Oh chanting doesn't work..." or will I be fueled by this and say "BECAUSE of this, not in spite of it, I will make my life that much stronger and I will help more people than ever?" You know what I chose. 

It is a choice. And it is up to us. 


My birthday is coming. September 22nd. My first birthday without my boy. And Aaron is gone too, He's in LA doing a rotation for his fourth year of Medical School. The thought of my birthday this year fills me with emotion.  


AND I lost my two favorite rings. I have looked everywhere...except where they ARE! And I knew I should not wear the tiny ring I bought for myself when Ben went through a terrible time and survived, with my grandmother's tiny little diamond ring. I wore them together, took them off somewhere and now they are gone. This one is tough to get out of my mind because I am so mad at myself. I am chanting to find them. They must be somewhere! 


So my birthday is next week. If anyone wants to send a birthday greeting my address is Jamie Lee Silver, 17w702 Butterfield, #104, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181. Your messages and cards always light up my day. 


This week I am giving a keynote speech. It's called "Lessons for Living Healthier Lives." And I think there will be about 300 people there. Friday. The day starts early. Very exciting.  

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie, I always find encouragement in you posts. I like the 'our attitude about our obstacles defines who we are and what we achieve' it's so true. Thanks again for your sharing. It made my day! Something I can use to encourage myself h others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jamie love your posts dear would also like if you can post some key contents of your workshop thnks n look fed to more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Jamie,
    I am sure you will do well!
    Malathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing woman and a great mother! Keep Chanting!! I sure you will find your rings and will also have an awesome bday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your words of encouragemet. Right now I'm making an effort of 1 hr chanting daimoku. And once I started pow car broke down. And I said "I know chanting is working BECAUSE the car broke down, I will chant harder and longer". I know we will get the car fixed and likely purchase another one, its long overdue. My point is never give up chanting, the moment you start things change for the better. It may not be apparent at first bt believe me it is happening. NMRK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your attitude and honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Jamie, I find your blog just when I need it the most. I got so wound up yesterday that I did not do Gongyo! And BOY,WAS THAT THE WRONG THING TO LET HAPPEN! Everything went off kilter and wacky! I know better than this but I have so much responsibility and worry right now. Now, awake at 2 am, wondering how everything got so mixed up, I find your beautiful message. Thank you so much! love Shari

    ReplyDelete