Wednesday, December 11, 2013

4 Important Questions Answered!



1. Does it make a difference what time I chant?

As long as you do Gongyo soon upon arising and then again at some point you will be doing fine. The important thing is to realize that there are no rules for this sort of thing and no one judging you. Your practice is for YOUR Happiness, and your happiness will extend out into the universe and make others happy. And it starts with you. I always say that the effort I put into my practice make the rest of my life so much easier. I put effort into my practice and my life rolls along nicely. I grow in practice and I grow in life. A long as you chant twice a day - morning and evening you will get your life into rhythm. And right now, morning and evening Gongyo are so similar that it doesn't matter which one you do. Just do Gongyo!

2. Do I Have to Change Religions to Chant?

No. You can keep practicing whatever religion brings you joy. Just remember that when you chant to the Gohonzon that it is NOT a GOD. The Gohonzon is your own life, so don't beg when you chant. When you chant to the Gohonzon you are declaring what you want.

It is best not to have symbols of other religions on or around your Buddhist altar.  That way you stay focused on your life...

3. Can I really chant for what I desire? How does that work?

You deserve to be happy. We all deserve to be happy. Our desires will get us there. Many people write me saying "This is what I want but people tell me I shouldn't want it" I believe in chanting for exactly what you want. Your desires have flame and passion. Chanting for exactly what you want will lead your life forward. Eventually your desires will elevate and change...or you may get exactly what you want. The important thing is this: By chanting for your desires you will FUEL your life. You will want to chant. Chanting will change your life. Be true to yourself. Chant for what you want...even if it doesn't seem "right." And, of course, chant for the greater happiness of all. I have never chanted for someone's unhappiness, but I am sure it would not be a good cause to do so. We are all interconnected. If you chant for another's unhappiness you will be making a cause for your own happiness. This is just common sense.

4.  What am I chanting "TO"?

The Gohonzon is your life. When you chant you are in dialogue with your life. I say "LIFE this is the way it is going to be!" Then I chant my desires. I deserve my desires. My desires benefit others. Every prayer I pray is for the sake of kosen-rufu...world peace through the changes that come about with each person's happiness...and a world of respect for all living beings. I chant "I will have the best job for kosen-rufu! I will have the job that will make me happy and will enable me to spread my light far and wide so that I can help others be happy!" And this is my prayer for everything I want. Ou lives are interconnected with absolutely everything. Chanting taps into the everything. We draw forth our own power through this magnificent practice!

5. Where can I chant?

You can chant anywhere at any time. but the basic practice, and where you can focus the most is in front of your own Gohonzon at home. But sure, you can chant in the car or anywhere else, or cleaning etc. But your basic practice is in your "home within your home" your sacred space to chant...whether you have a Gohonzon or not.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite times and places to chant is when using exercise machines at the gym. It's an opportunity to concentrate one's mind between life's other activities. NMRK!

    ReplyDelete