Friday, September 20, 2013

The Driving Source for Being Ever Victorious - The Mentor Disciple Relationship


The following passage is from the October 2013 edition of Living Buddhism magazine, from a passage from the New Human REvolution, Volume 25, Chapter 4, installments 14-28. Some of you have written me that you are interested in really engraving the master disciple relationships in your hearts, and in deepening your understanding of this important concept. I offer you these words in your quest towards the deepening of your faith and happiness: 

Together with me, they (the members) have refreshed their commitment ot kosen-rufu and are striving their hardest. THis is what it means to have an inner dialogue with one's mentor every day. 
The same is true of me and Mr. Toda. I talk with Mr. Toda in my heart every single day as I carry on with my struggles. He is always in my heart. 
My standards are Nichiren Daishonin's writings and Mr. Toda., who read Nichiren Daishonin's writings and put them into practice with his entire being. 
I am always asking myself, "What would Mr. Toda do in this situation?' 'Were my actions today in line with Mr. Toda's spirit?''Would Mr. Toda be happy or sad if he could see me right now?"
I've always inspired myself by striving to win and bring joy to Mr. Toda. That's the source of my courage. It's the driving force for being ever-victorious



The oneness of mentor and disciple starts from living life with the same spirit as one's mentor and always keeping the mentor firmly in one's heart. It is easy to talk about the way of mentor and disciple, but if our mentor isn't in our heart we aren't genuinely practicing Buddhism. 
By thinking that the mentor exists outside oneself, he mentor's actions and guidance no longer serve as a spiritual compass. In that case, when the mentor's external evaluation of oneself becomes the standards for one's actions, one will strive hard when the mentor is strictly watching, but when the mentor isn't looking, one may become calculating and stop trying one's best. The faith of such a person will not deepen, and they won't be able to achieve their human revolution. 
If leaders fall prey to this tendency, they will extinguish the true spirit of Buddhism, and the pure realm of faith will become a realm of worldly affairs ruled by personal advantage and  calculation.  
Only by firmly establishing the great way of the oneness of mentor and disciple in one's own heart can one further the eternal perpetuation of the law. 

No comments:

Post a Comment