Thursday, July 9, 2015

Having a Determined Spirit is Everything!

At the starting line of the state Cross Country Meet
Ben is the first in a white jersey from the left

"An awareness and understanding of death raises our state of life. When we are cognizant of the reality and inevitability of death we begin to seek the eternal, and become determined to make the most valuable use of each moment of life."
Daisaku Ikeda from Ikedaquotes.org
Everything is coming together for an inspiring tribute to Ben's life on Sunday. And you can be there! We are doing a live web simulcast!  We are going to have it real-time on the web so we'll let you know how you can actually be there for the ceremony. 

The Buddhist Ceremony will take place at 10:00 Central Standard Time, and his Life Celebration will be at 1:00 the same day, Sunday, July 12th. Both will have music, video and stories of Ben's Life. 

We are planning to memorialize Ben's Victorious Spirit in a number of ways. We will have a bench and tree in the park right by where we lived. Before we moved from San Francisco to Chicago I chanted for a park in walking distance - where no one had to cross the street - and got it - Whitlock Park in Downers Grove. This park has a running path Aaron and Ben spent many hours running on - and I walked this path over and over.

We are also talking about having the Ben Silver Memorial Mile. Every summer this running community (hundreds of young men and women and their families) will come together and run or walk for a mile on the High School track and then share some time in the American Legion Hall. This is where the team met for a joyous Cross Country Team Banquet every year. Prior to this, there has been no yearly reunion, and Ben's life will change this. We are also looking into other ways to memorialize his great spirit. Send me your ideas! 

Ever since he died, one week ago today, I have thrown open my doors and have had a constant stream of visitors to hug all of us, and to tell us their stories about Ben. 

One coach said he coached seven Olympic athletes, and NONE had the drive and energy Ben did. Ben ran in the state cross country championship three times, more than any athlete at the High School (that's what we understand to be true). The point is he "ATTACKED" every course as if it were the last race he would ever run. People I'd never met used to come up to me at races and ask "Are you Ben Silver's Mom? I came out here today just to watch him run. There's something about watching Ben Silver run. It's so compelling." I think it's because he went full out. He gave every race his all. 

And he gave his other endeavors his all as well. His poems...his songwriting...his acting when he was younger. I posted the original song he performed before a live audience the other day. I know the sound quality is not good. I can post the words if you'd like. They are actually hilarious. 

I am keeping my spirit strong through Daimoku. 

I have not given up one ounce of courage, conviction and strength. Through my sweet boy's death, I am determined to use my life force more fully for the happiness of all. I am fighting for kosen-rufu (a world of respect for all) with all my might. I am determined that no family should ever have to suffer what we've been through these last few years with Ben's illness. Somehow we must find a cure for Schizophrenia. And change the way it is treated. My mission for spreading the word about this incredible Buddhist practice burns more deeply in my heart. Thank you for sharing this blog with others. I will continue using my life to inspire, as I know you are all doing as well! 

Right now Aaron is using my computer to make a video for Ben so it is difficult to answer emails, thank you for your patience! 

You can send written notes, etc., to 
Jamie Lee Silver at 
17w702 Butterfield apt. #104, 
Oak Brook Terrace, IL 60181
I am chanting for you ALL to be inspired, more inspired than ever through Ben's courageous life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment