Wednesday, March 18, 2015

4 Ways to Find the Benefit in ANYTHING!


My Champion - Ben 

"Viewing events and situations in a positive light is important. The strength, wisdom and cheerfulness that accompany such an attitude lead to happiness. To regard everything in a positive light or with a spirit of goodwill, however, does not mean being foolishly gullible and allowing people to take advantage of our good nature. It means having the wisdom and perception to actually move things in a positive direction by seeing things in their best light, while all the time keeping our eyes firmly focused on reality."

For Today and Tomorrow by Daisaku IkedaPage 29.

I just finished a powerful hour of Daimoku from my heart to the heart of my son, Benjamin Lee Silver. As some of you know, he has been battling schizophrenia for the past two years. Yesterday he was sent from the Hopewell community in Ohio (our great benefit to find this wonderful place for him) to the hospital - all about 8 hours from where I am. 

This morning my first prayer was one of appreciation. I love the quote I posted above. We can, even in our most challenging moments, find the light. I am a fortunate woman indeed, to have a son who makes me chant such powerful and focused Daimoku! He is my great benefit. My Daimoku, guidance from seniors, and study have led me to this point. I am so grateful for this practice!

How can we all feel fortunate...remain cheerful...and find the benefit in anything? 

Here are my 

4 Ways to Find the Benefit in Anything
by Jamie Lee Silver from Chantforhappiness.com

1. It sounds obvious - but "take it to the Gohonzon." Go to the Gohonzon, sit down, put your hands together, chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and be real. Tell your life (the Gohonzon) how you feel. There is no need to pretend anything or be different than we are. We are Buddhas when we are happy. We are Buddhas when we are sad. Tell your life how you feel, then move on and: 

2. While chanting, ask yourself if you can find the benefit in this situation. Chant to find the benefit. It is there. There are many times I have had to chant to somehow be able to appreciate a challenge. You will begin to see the benefit. You might want to have a journal nearby to record your thoughts. 

3. Get guidance in faith. Develop a relationship with someone who inspires you. This takes Daimoku and intention. And it is each of our responsibility to cultivate these relationships. Chant to find someone who inspires you! Chant to connect with them. Chant to connect with someone who has the heart of our mentor Daisaku Ikeda. Chant to have the heart of our mentor yourself! Read his words with the spirit of connecting with the spirit behind the words. (For people new to the practice, Daisaku Ikeda is the leader of the SGI, Soka Gakkai. He has spent more than 60 years dedicating himself to world peace through each person achieving their own human revolution  - happiness. Check out his quotes on ikedaquotes.org )

4. Write a list of all you appreciate in life. there are many studies that say writing lists of appreciation can alleviate pain, alleviate depression, and even extend our lives. Find the things to appreciate. And fill your heart with appreciation when you chant. 

If I can appreciate my son having this life-threatening illness, and keep going, keep chanting, and keep living my life to inspire others...there is no end to what you can do through your Daimoku! 

Have a great, victorious day! 

Win in the morning and you win in life! 






6 comments:

  1. Thank You! This was very helpful and full of encouragement. I do appreciate you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely,inspiring,encouraging...thank you so much!!! Nam myo ho renge kyo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your daily guidance and how I can show appreciation in my life and to those around me. I have just attended a leaders weekend study here in Dunedin Otago New Zealand and some key things resonated with me. First mentor and disciple relationship which is sometimes a struggle but I have started reading Human revolution to gain a greater understanding of President Ikeda and the history of SGI. Also when Im chanting I am thinking of his spirit faith and putting that into my chanting.
    You are facing some big challenges I will continue to chant for you and your son.
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jamie, for this guidance - it is *exactly* what I needed to see today. I've been following you for a little over a year and I always, always, find what I need on your blog. You are AWESOME!!! I will send my daimoku both to of your lives tonight so that Ben will win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jamie for this beautiful post. It's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete