Monday, April 1, 2013

Encouraging Ourselves When We are Down



 It's in the 20's here in Chicago. It's sunny, 
windy and cold...
and April first! 

Here are a few strategies for when you are down:

1. Chant lots of daimoku. That's always where I start. Then I use the following resources:

2. Call a friend in faith for encouragement. I have a pretty long list of relationships that I have cultivated. Over the years it has been my goal to establish deep rooted friendships with many of my fellow practitioners. I find people who inspire me and chant to develop friendships with them. Your friends in faith are your greatest treasure. If you don't have any you can chant with a goal to establish friends in faith. If you reach out to your leaders they will help you. 

3. Go to the Gosho. I always keep the Gosho close. I have it all marked up with my favorite quotes.  I open to any page and start reading. I also go to my favorites. 
In "The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon" you find the quote: 

"A woman who devotes herself to the Gohonzon invites happiness in this life, and in the next, the Gohonzon will be with her and protect her always. Like a Lantern in the dark, like a strong, supporting arm on a treacherous path, the Gohonzon will protect you, Lady Nichingyo, wherever you go. 
"Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself, The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. " 

And from "The One Essential Phrase": 
"Fire can be produced by a stone taken from the bottom of a river, and a candle can light up a place that has been dark for billions of years. If even the most ordinary things of this world are such wonders, then how much more wondrous is the power of the mystic law?"

4. Read President Ikeda's Guidance. You can find it on the web under Ikedaquotes.org, or through the link on the right side of this blog. 

5. Go back and chant again with renewed faith in the power of your own life. 

6. Drink more water, get fresh air and exercise!  

No comments:

Post a Comment