Monday, April 29, 2013

Inspiring Power Prayer Experience from Morag in the UK



(This experience is from Morag in Hythe, UK. Thanks Morag, you are an inspiration! 
If any of you have Power Prayer experiences please send them to chantforhappiness@gmail.com. We are collecting Power Prayer quotes and experiences for our soon-to-be released Power Prayer book)

"I came across Jamie's blog sometime in the middle of last year, 2012.  Right from the start I thought her enthusiasm and mission to share Nichiren Buddhism leapt from the computer screen.  I had been practising for just over 5 years, going to local meetings and studying  quite diligently.  It's a wide district geographically, members are very spread out, so you tend to see the same faces all the time.  I felt at a bit of plateau, chanting regularly and getting small consistant benefits and proofs  but no  'oomph.'  

After reading a few blogs I started to forward them to other members.  I remember two phrases that burned into my heart and stayed there;  

'If you don't like something about your SGI meetings, chant to change it' and 'I determine to be a shining example that this practice works and to meet people who want to hear about it.'  

I incorporated that last one straight into morning Gongyo, started carrying cards around with me to hand out whenever anyone showed the slightest interest in me or Buddhism. That phrase alone changed my whole outlook and my confidence talking about my practice to anyone has grown since then.

I had not heard the term 'power prayer'. I like to think Nichiren would recognize it as he described chanting with the determination as if to get fire from damp wood.  I liked it as a way of encompassing determinations and really focusing my daimoku.  I set up a file on my computer; 'Buddhist Prayers' with a background picture of a lotus blossom and started writing them down and printing them off. (Yes I know, way too much time on my hands).  

As Buddhists, all our prayers should be linked or based on the desire for Kosen-Rufu, and I preface each one with that now. And try to mean it right into my heart.  Surprisingly, for someone who likes reading and writing; essays, letters, whatever, I actually keep my power  prayers very short. I distill my determinations right down to concentrated essence.  But I do write them down.

Towards  the end of last year, I wanted to encourage new members, really push for a shakabuku meeting in my area.  Jamie's enthusiasm was infectious.  I found a venue for a shakubuku meeting and proposed it at an SGI  meeting and got a rather downbeat response.  Hm, 'if you want to change something....' so I started chanting and wrote:  'for kosen-rufu and the growth of this district I will have meetings at the Light Railway Hall.' 

I went to New Year Gongyo at a house in Ashford, which has more members.  Up till then I had not had any meetings at my own home as my husband, while not opposed to my practice, does not want to be at home while meetings go on.  That new year I vowed, ' For kosen-rufu and growth of this district I will hold meetings in our home and hold New Year Gongyo in 2014.'  I wrote that one down too.

My husband and middle son have been motocross enthusiasts for years, my son is a champion.  This year is the busiest yet for week-end meetings.  As soon as I saw the list, I asked lightly, 'would you mind if I had meetings here if you are away?'  That was fine.
So I contacted the scheduler, (who has been wholeheartedly supporting the goal for new members) and booked meetings in our home every month till october (when the season officially ends). 
Even if alone, I decided I would have home Tozos towards the goal of new members.  (Ding ding! round one.)

Then at last months meeting, almost as a throw away line, a leader said 'Yes, we'll do something about your Idea for shakabuku meetings.'  (Ding ding! round two.)

That's great I thought, I already have the leaflets and posters printed and 99% of my script.  I'm up for it!  

This week I booked the hall for a shakubuku meeting on July 1st.  

This month's SGI magazine had a section dedicated to the experience of shakabuku meetings. Perfect. 

Power prayers are ongoing; one thing I am learning is patience. 

 I felt a bit bit poetic this week and wrote:
'For kosen rufu and the growth of this district, I use my Buddha strength to draw the bow of the Lotus Sutra, aim my arrows of daimoku to win in all my determinations.'

NMRK Morag.x  


No comments:

Post a Comment