Sunday, April 7, 2013

What is a High Life-Condition, and Why is it Important?


Today we had World Peace Prayer for April at the Chicago SGI Center. I'd arranged a meeting between one of the senior leaders and a youth member from my district. And I'd lined up lunch with the other young women in my district after the meeting. We were all looking forward to a great day. 

We set off in high spirits with plenty of time to spare from somewhere close to where this picture is taken, to head east and into the city. When we got there we found that the Shamrock Shuffle race was going on and all the streets leading to the SGI center were blocked from where we were. Here's where having a "high life condition" comes in. 
Click "read more" below to see the rest of this post.


I have been chanting at least two hours a day and visiting members every day. I've been studying Daisaku's writings in the New Human Revolution every day as well. Because of these efforts in faith,  I have been in an ultra high life condition. I've just felt great. When we put our practice first by chanting triumphantly first thing in the morning, and studying and encouraging others, we create a high life condition where NOTHING sways and upsets us. 

Because there were barricades everywhere, I had to turn the opposite direction from the SGI Center, and tried to turn left to go around the race and ran into more barricades. I really didn't know the best way to get to the center from where I was. I didn't know how many other streets were blocked off. Chicago, as you know, is a major city. Driving amidst the cars, many pedestrians, racers and families, cabs and trucks is not easy! 

But I had a high life condition. I wasn't upset. I was amused. We were laughing. I was calm. I wasn't worried about anything. We were all calm and enjoying how beautiful the city looked today. We took many routes that led to nothing until we finally found our way to outer Lake Shore Drive, one of the most beautiful drives in the world. The water sparkled at us as we made our way south in the direction of the Center. 

When we did arrive, there was no parking and no overflow lot. Cars and people were everywhere. But, instead of getting upset (which I have done at times in the past when my life condition wasn't as high), I spotted a few open spaces in a local car repair lot. We pulled in and I went in to talk to the manager. I told him our predicament and asked it there were any way I could have a space, and, of course, with all that Daimoku I'd been chanting, he found us a spot and we thanked him over and over. 

The meeting was spectacular, even though we missed Gongyo. We watched a film where President Ikeda said "Those who continue to make efforts amidst daunting challenges will truly become happy." We had a great time at lunch and the meeting with the senior leader was very encouraging. 

If you are finding life getting you down, I encourage you to chant much more, and to study and encourage others more often. The time it takes to chant more will actually give you MORE time, because everything in life will flow more smoothly. You'll be in rhythm. You can be happier than you ever dreamed possible if you put your practice first! 

No comments:

Post a Comment