Monday, November 12, 2012

Hello Obstacles!

I post the flower here as a symbol of the unfolding of Buddhahood within all of our lives. When we chant consistently our lives unfold peacefully and beautifully and happily. I am so grateful for receiving the gift of these flowers...they are beautiful and strong and sending me their own kind of encouragement right now. 

On "Obstacles":

What do Buddhists mean when they use the word "obstacles"? We mean the same thing other people say when they use the word "problems". And we use this word for a reason. 

If you are a true practicing Buddhist you have no problems. Problems are stagnant things that hang around forever. Problems are something people learn to live with and accept. Problems tend to linger...when people feel powerless to change them. 

But "obstacles" are totally different.

Obstacles come to strengthen our lives and make us happier. 

As practicing Buddhists we KNOW our lives are on a positive trajectory. We KNOW that if we persevere in our practice, and continue studying, helping others learn to chant, that all our obstacles will clear away. 

Obstacles are the logs on the fire that serve to STRENGTHEN our lives! We burn them with our fierce Daimoku. How can we be afraid of them? We should actually be grateful for them. I remember the first time a leader suggested that I have gratitude for my obstacle. I had to chant about her suggestion. I had to chant myself into a state of appreciation for my obstacle. Of course that helped to clear it away. 

At this moment I am facing a huge obstacle. Woohoo! That means a huge benefit is right around the corner. Isn't it wonderful to live life with this attitude? I share my life with you so you can claim victory for yourself in the face of obstacles. 

Instead of looking at the challenges in your life as "problems" please take another view. Realize that obstacles are there for your own development and USE your practice to knock them down one after another. And you will emerge with a strong and undaunted life force that will inspire others and bring you the kind of happiness you truly want...the kind of happiness that comes from within. 

Say to your life: 


Hello Obstacle and Hello Benefit.


They are one and the same.
Especially if you have the right attitude and a strong practice.
We practice daily so that when a big obstacle hits us we are strong, strong, strong.

I had a friend in Japan who had chanted for more than 40 years.

He said "When I get a big problem I am so happy! I know that there will be a big benefit from this problem!"

And he really has the right idea.

Today, Monday morning, I am facing some meetings which will determine my future at the company where I work. All the employees are facing uncertainty today. I wrote a few days ago that layoffs and closings have been announced, but no specifics have come out so far. No Problem! Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

I am so grateful I chanted for three hours on Sunday. I am not scared, and I will keep smiling. I will encourage my fellow co-workers as much as I can. I was chanting for their happiness...and for their peace of mind. I am a walking Buddha in the world, just like all of us Soka Gakkai members. Everywhere I go I represent Daisaku Ikeda. My goal is to make him proud and do the right thing at all times. Especially in times of great change! My goal is also to encourage people everywhere with every fibre of my being. 

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!



No comments:

Post a Comment